This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||Pop, blues, jazz|
|Years active||Since the 1980s|
Gary Lawyer (born 1959) is an Indian singer-songwriter known for his works predominantly in Western Music & Bollywood. He started his career as a nightclub singer in New York City, New York. Also known as " The man with a golden voice".
He is the first Indian to be signed for a western album outside India and the first English music video "nights on Fire" to be played on MTV in India. Lawyer has a bass baritone, who sings in the tenor range. During his youth he studied music in New York City, before returning to his roots in Bombay to further build his career, leaving behind the many contracts he was offered in NY.
Today he is known in India as "the man with a golden voice'. As well as music from his own albums he also sings covers by great rock & jazz musicians such as The doors, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Freddy Mercury and many more. He has been the opening act for many international musicians such as Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, and has even played tributes to "Queen" by playing for Freddy Mercury's family and friends.
Gary also has broadened his horizons and sung for Bollywood Films as well which have gone on to become hits. That said he has been perhaps the greatest inspiration for young indian rockers, never giving up on his goal- always pushing for the talent in western forms of music to finally step into the light in a world which is dominated to Hindi/ Bollywood music.
- "Arrow in the Dust"
- "Highway to Heaven"
- "Nights on Fire"
- "This Cannot Wait"
- "The Other Side of Dawn"
- "Deep Blue Dusk"
- Other Side of dawn
- Nights on Fire
- Arrow in the Dust
- Road (2002) – "Road ke har Mod Pe"
- Corporate (2006) – "Yahan Sabko Sab"
- Sacred Evil – A True Story (2006) – "Deep Blue Dusk"
- List of blues musicians
- List of Indians
- List of jazz musicians
- List of people from New York City
- List of singer-songwriters
- Transcript (of online chat, May 13, 2005). "Gary Lawyer". Indiatimes. Retrieved February 2013
- "Shekhar in conversation with Gary Lawyer - Episode 89 - Bollywood Movies". Zimbio. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- "Road ke har Mod Pe". YouTube. 2010-09-05. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- Rodrigues, Collin (September 8, 2011). "Gary Lawyer's Elvis Tribute for Charity". Hindustan Times. Retrieved February 16, 2013
- Nnbhushan (March 31, 2009). "Gary Lawyer Indian Summer World News (WN) Network. Retrieved February 16, 2013