LeVox in September 2012
|Birth name||Gary Wayne Vernon, Jr.|
July 10, 1970 |
Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
|Genres||Country Pop R&B|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, drums|
|Labels||Lyric Street, Big Machine|
|Associated acts||Rascal Flatts|
Gary LeVox (born Gary Wayne Vernon, Jr., July 10, 1970), is an American singer and songwriter. He is known for being the lead vocalist of the contemporary Country Pop trio Rascal Flatts, and his stage name is taken from the studio-console label for his lead-vocal track.
LeVox was born in Columbus, Ohio. LeVox's first musical performance was at the age of eight, in a play at his church. He graduated from Olentangy High School and is an alumnus of Ohio State University. Prompted by his cousin, LeVox moved to Nashville, Tennessee, in 1997. LeVox and his second cousin, Jay DeMarcus, started out together in Chely Wright's band. One day, when the regular guitarist was not available, Joe Don Rooney stepped in. The three men say they felt the chemistry immediately.
"We used to sit around for hours at Jamie’s house, singing and playing and having a good time...So when Jay and Joe and myself wrote this song, we thought it would be great to have him on it. I called him up just to say, ‘Hey, man, you’ve got to hear this song. I think you could really, really kill it.’ He said, ‘Tell you what. I’ll sing on your record if you guys will sing on mine.’ I said, ‘All right.’"— Gary LeVox (2007)
LeVox was employed in his local burger bar from age 14 (referenced in his film clip for Yours If You Want It)
LeVox has been married to Tara Vernon since 1999. He says it was love at first sight when they met backstage at a gospel festival concert. “I knew at that moment that I was looking at my future wife,” he said in a 2011 interview. “It was the weirdest thing ever.” They now have two daughters together.
- Rascal Flatts (2000)
- Melt (2002)
- Feels Like Today (2004)
- Me and My Gang (2006)
- Still Feels Good (2007)
- Unstoppable (2009)
- Nothing Like This (2010)
- Changed (2012)
- Rewind (2014)
- The Greatest Gift of All (2016)
- Keyes, J. Edward (2007-09-25). "Single Minded: New Foo Fighters, Joni Mitchell, Rascal Flatts, Keyshia Cole and KyMani Marley". Rolling Stone. Retrieved on 2008-03-20.
- (April 3, 2006), "Finally, one of the 'Gang'". USA Today. :01d
- AOL music, Gary LeVox biography Archived 2008-02-02 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2008-03-20
- Rascal Flatts.com Archived 2008-03-06 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2008-03-20
- Price, Deborah Evans (December/January 2008), "The Triumph of Rascal Flatts". CMA Close Up volume unknown:20-21