He initially trained as a baritone at Youngstown State University, continued his studies at Indiana University, and as a member of the Lyric Opera Center for American Artists gave 90 performances with the Lyric Opera of Chicago. In 1995, he sang the lead tenor role of Herman in The Queen of Spades. From the 1990s into the next decade he sang baritone roles such as the Count in The Marriage of Figaro and Ford in Falstaff.
Lehman's next Wagner performances were in the title role in Tannhauser in March 2007. A year later he made his both his Metropolitan Opera and role debuts in Tristan und Isolde. He repeated the role with the Mariinsky Opera in June 2008 and with Leipzig Opera in January 2009, and gave concert performances with the Philharmonia Orchestra throughout Europe in August and September 2010. Further Wagner roles have been Siegmund in Die Walküre, also at the Met, and a recording of the title role in Parsifal.
After Ben Heppner dropped out of the Metropolitan Opera's 2010-2012 new production of the Ring Cycle, it was announced in February 2011 that Lehman would sing Siegfried in both Siegfried in October 2011 and Götterdämmerung in January 2012. In October, Lehman dropped out of first one and then both roles, citing illness, and both Siegfried roles were sung by his understudy, Jay Hunter Morris.
Lehmann return to the stage in June 2012 playing Florestan in Dresden.
- www.garylehmantenor.com. "Biography".
- Giffin, Glen (9 December 1995), "Tchaikovsky: Queen of Spades.(Central City, Colorado)", Opera News
- Peter Bates. "Boston Lyric Opera: Le Nozze di Figaro by Wolfgang Amadé Mozart; April 4, 1999".
- Reichel, Edward (6 March 2000), "Utah Opera's Falstaff is first-rate, fabulous", Deseret News
- Swed, Mark (21 December 2005), "Some performances save the best for last", The Los Angeles Time
- Warfield, Scott (19 November 2006), "Orlando Opera's Samson hits high note with Graves", Orlando Sentinel
- Wagneropera.net. "Salvation for Tannhäuser?".
- Holland, Bernard (20 March 2008), "Tristan and the Furious Stage", New York Times
- Bredin, Henrietta (21 September 2010), "Tristan und Isolde in widescreen", The Guardian
- Itzkoff, Dave (14 April 2009), "Cast for Met’s Ring Goes Round and Round", The New York Times
- Christiansen, Rupert (17 September 2010), "Wagner: Parsifal, CD review", The Daily Telegraph
- www.garylehmantenor.com. "Repertoire".
- Wakin, Daniel J. (8 February 2011), "Ben Heppner Drops Out of the Met’s Ring", The New York Times
- The Metropolitan Opera. "The 2011-12 Season".
- Wakin, Daniel J. (19 October 2011), "Lehman Withdraws From Met'sSiegfried", The New York Times
- Wakin, Daniel J. (20 October 2011), "Manager Cites Virus as Reason for Star's Withdrawal from Met's Siegfried", The New York Times
- Wakin, Daniel J. (28 October 2011), "Opera Houses Play a Game of Tenor Round Robin", The New York Times
- "Operabase schedule for Gary Lehman".
- Interview-profile of Gary Lehman by David Patrick Stearns in the Metropolitan Opera Guild's Opera News
- Gary Lehman's schedule on Operabase
|This United States musical biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American opera singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|