Gary M. Burge
|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Gary M. Burge|
|Subject||New Testament, Theology|
Gary M. Burge (born 1952) is an American author and professor. He is a New Testament scholar at Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois. He is also an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Early life and education
Gary M. Burge attended the University of California, Riverside, where he studied political science and religious studies, followed by a year at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon, where he studied at the Near East School of Theology. Following graduation from University of California, Riverside, he earned an M.Div. degree from Fuller Theological Seminary and a Ph.D. in New Testament Studies at King's College, Aberdeen University, Scotland, working under I. Howard Marshall. His dissertation, The Anointed Community: The Holy Spirit in the Johannine Community was published in 1987.
Burge specializes in the contextual and historical background of the New Testament. His research has centered on the gospels, in particular the Fourth Gospel, about which he has published numerous books and articles. He is a regular teacher at Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Illinois, and a frequent speaker at churches and conferences.
He has also published on the theological implications of the Israel-Palestine conflict. His book Whose Land, Whose Promise: What Christians Aren't Being Told About Israel and the Palestinians (2003, revised 2013) was his first book in this area. His second book on the subject, Jesus and the Land: The New Testament Challenge to Holy Land Theology is a theological examination of how the New Testament interprets the land promises of the Old Testament.
Select Published works
- Burge, Gary M. (2003, 2013). Whose Land? Whose Promise?: What Christians Are Not Being Told About Israel and the Palestinians, Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, 286 pages. ISBN 978-0829815450
- Burge, Gary M. (2010). Jesus and the Land: The New Testament Challenge to Holy Land Theology, Grand Rapids, Mich: Baker Academic, 153 pages. ISBN 978-0801038983
- Burge, Gary M. (2015). A Week in the Life of a Roman Centurion, Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 208 pages. ISBN 978-0-8308-2462-5
- Burge, G.M., The Anointed Community. The Holy Spirit in the Johannine Community (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1987)
- Burge, G.M., Interpreting the Gospel of John. A Practical Guide (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2012) also http://blog.bakeracademic.com/new-resources-on-the-gospel-of-john/
- Amstutz, Mark. R., "Evangelicals and American Foreign Policy" (New York: Oxford Univ. Press, 2013)118-142