|Birth name||Gary Richrath|
|Born||October 18, 1949|
|Genres||Hard rock, Rock, Pop rock|
|Instruments||Guitar, Vocals, Slide Guitar|
|Associated acts||REO Speedwagon, Richrath|
|Gibson Les Paul Sunburst, Gibson US-1, Charvel Guitars, Fender Stratocaster|
Richrath provided much of the creative and driving force in the early days of the band, writing much of the material for REO Speedwagon's first twelve albums. In 1977, he and other members of the band took over their own production, which resulted in the band's first platinum album. Richrath wrote many of the band's songs including "Golden Country" from 1972, "Ridin' the Storm Out" (1973), "Only the Strong Survive" (1979) and "Take It On the Run" from 1981.
In addition, Richrath sang several REO Speedwagon songs including "Find My Fortune" (1973) and "(Only A) Summer Love" (1976). He left REO Speedwagon in 1989, and released a solo album titled Only the Strong Survive in 1992 under the name "Richrath".
On November 22, 2013, REO and Styx announced a benefit concert titled "Rock to the Rescue" to raise money for the affected families of the tornado in central Illinois. The concert was held on December 4, 2013 in Bloomington, Illinois. Gary Richrath reunited with REO for a performance of "Ridin' the Storm Out" to end REO's set at the sold-out concert. Gary stayed on stage to help with the encore of "With a Little Help From My Friends" along with REO, Styx, Richard Marx, and others. Gary is originally from the town of East Peoria which was damaged during the storm. Families affected by the storm and first-responders sat near the stage for this special concert and REO reunion.
- 1971 REO Speedwagon
- 1972 R.E.O./T.W.O.
- 1973 Ridin' the Storm Out
- 1974 Lost in a Dream
- 1975 This Time We Mean It
- 1976 R.E.O.
- 1977 Live: You Get What You Play For
- 1978 You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tuna Fish
- 1979 Nine Lives
- 1980 A Decade of Rock and Roll 1970 to 1980
- 1981 Hi Infidelity
- 1982 Good Trouble
- 1985 Best Foot Forward
- 1985 Wheels Are Turnin'
- 1987 Life as We Know It
- 1988 The Hits
- 1991 The Second Decade of Rock and Roll 1981 to 1991
- 1993 Star Box
- 1995 Believe in Rock And Roll
- 1995 High Infidelity Gold
- 1995 Subway in Tokyo
- 1998 Only the Strong Survive - REO
- 1998 Premium Best
- 1999 The Ballads
- 2004 The Essential REO Speedwagon
- 2008 Playlist: The Very Best of REO Speedwagon
- 2010 Setlist: The Very Best of REO Speedwagon Live
- 1992 Only the Strong Survive