|Full name||Gary Dean Sawyer|
|Date of birth||5 July 1985|
|Place of birth||Bideford, England|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2003||→ Weymouth (loan)||1||(0)|
|2004–2006||→ Exeter City (loan)||62||(2)|
|2010||→ Bristol City (loan)||2||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:54, 16 November 2015 (UTC).
Gary Dean Sawyer (born 5 July 1985) is an English professional footballer who plays as a defender for League Two club Plymouth Argyle. He previously played for Leyton Orient as well as Plymouth Argyle, Weymouth, Exeter City, Bristol City and Bristol Rovers.
Sawyer was born in Bideford, Devon, and developed his football career in the youth system at Plymouth Argyle. In the 2003–04 season, Sawyer had a loan spell with Weymouth, during which he made only one appearance. He joined Conference club Exeter City on loan for the 2004–05 season, appearing regularly in the first team and playing in the club's FA Cup ties against Manchester United, and remained at the club for the following season.
Sawyer made his debut in the Football League on 8 August 2006, as a second-half substitute as Plymouth won 1–0 against Colchester United in the Football League Championship. He signed a two-and-a-half-year deal in November 2006, and made his first start for Argyle later that month at home to Luton Town. His performances during the season earned him Argyle's Young Player of the Season award for 2006–07 and a new three-year deal, contracting him to the club until 2010.
In March 2010, Sawyer joined fellow Championship club Bristol City on loan for the remainder of the 2009–10 season. Out of contract at the end of the season, Sawyer had turned down the offer of a contract extension from Plymouth, and said he hoped to earn himself a permanent deal with Bristol City.
On 30 June 2010, Sawyer joined League One Club Bristol Rovers on a two-year deal. He got his first sending off for the Pirates on 11 September 2010, against Brentford, with two bookable offences.
Statistics accurate as of 13 March 2010.
- Hugman, Barry J, ed. (2007). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2007–08. Edinburgh: Mainstream. p. 363. ISBN 978-1-84596-246-3.
- "Profiles Gary Sawyer". Plymouth Argyle F.C. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "Delight for Summers" (reprint). Western Morning News (FindArticles). 10 August 2006. Retrieved 26 March 2010.[dead link]
- "Sawyer pens new deal at Plymouth". BBC Sport. 8 November 2006. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "Plymouth vs Luton Town". Plymouth Argyle F.C. 28 November 2006. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "Sawyer Signs Extension". Plymouth Argyle F.C. 5 July 2007. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "City Loan In A Pilgrim". Bristol City F.C. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "Gary Out To Impress". Bristol City F.C. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "Bristol Rovers sign Plymouth defender Gary Sawyer". BBC News. 30 June 2010. Retrieved 30 June 2010.
- "Bristol Rovers 0–0 Brentford". BBC News. 11 September 2010.
- "Sawyer becomes first summer arrival". Leyton Orient F.C. 12 May 2012.
- "Many Happy Returns". Plymouth Argyle F.C. 25 June 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Gary Sawyer player profile at pafc.co.uk
- Gary Sawyer player profile at exetercityfc.co.uk
- Gary Sawyer career statistics at Soccerbase