This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gary Schneider is a photographer who was born in East London, South Africa and raised in Cape Town. His BFA is from Michaelis School of Fine Art, University of Cape Town and his MFA is from Pratt Institute, Brooklyn. He is currently a Faculty member at Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ. Schneider is a contemporary photographer working in both digital and film media.
Schneider is best known for his photographs of the human body, such as Robert from 1996, in the collection of the Honolulu Museum of Art. In 1998, he completed “Genetic Self-Portrait”, which is a set of 55 forensic photographs that make up fourteen images of his own body. The work was exhibited in the Musée de l'Élysée in Lausanne, Switzerland as well as the International Center of Photography in New York City and the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art. The book was published by Light Work, Syracuse in 1999.
“Portraits”, a survey of his work, was mounted at the Sackler Museum, Harvard University in 2004. It traveled to the Contemporary Museum in Honolulu. A fully illustrated catalog was published by Yale Press. Aperture published his “Nudes” in 2005 and exhibited the life-size photographs in New York. The exhibition traveled to the Reykjavik Art Museum in 2010. A survey, “Flesh” was mounted by MoPA in San Diego in 2008.
“HandBook” is Schneider’s 2010 artist book published by Aperture and printed by Schneider on a print-on-demand press. Schneider’s work is represented in many museums including the Art Institute of Chicago, the George Eastman Museum, Harvard Art Museums, the Honolulu Museum of Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Musée de l'Élysée in Lausanne, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, the National Gallery of Canada, and the Whitney Museum of American Art.
Selected reviews and articles
- 2011 Heller, Maxwell. "What a (Self) Portrait Can Do: Picturing South Africa in New York," The Brooklyn Rail. Dec11-Jan12.
- 2010 Ransu, Jon B.K.. Review. "The Shadow that Points to the Light”, Morgunbladid, Reykjavik, Iceland. May 23. Reproduction
- 2010 Einar Falur Ingólfsson. Article. "Nudes". Reykjavik Art Museum, Hafnarhús, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- 2010 McQuaid, Kate. Review. "Playing with forms, faces and figures". The Boston Globe, MA. Jan. 20. Reproduction.
- 2010 “Photo Book.PH 2009/10”. Catalogue. Kassel, Germany. Reproductions, p. 16-17.
- 2008 Pincus, Robert L..Review. Union-Tribune, San Diego, CA., June 1. Reproductions. Cover.
- 2007 Martin Hammer."The Naked Portrait". Catalogue, National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland. Reproductions, p. 122, 124-5, 123-7.
- 2007 Jeffrey Hoone. Brochure. Essay. "Gary Schneider: Genetic Self-Portrait". The Warehouse Gallery, Syracuse, NY.
- 2007 Shackleton, Shaun. Interview. "Portrait of an Artist". Guernsey Press. Guernsey, Channel Islands, GB. June 6. Reproductions, p. 19.
- 2007 Glueck, Grace. Review. The New York Times, NYC, NY. January 6, p.E34.
- 2006 Aletti, Vince. Review. The New Yorker, NYC, NY, January 6, p. 15
- 2005 Fairbrother,Trevor. Article. "Gary Schneider: Facing Time”. Art in America, NYC, NY. February. Reproductions, p. 112-115,143.
- 2005 Gail-White, Victoria. Review. "Seeking the Soul Behind the Mask”. The Honolulu Advertiser, Honolulu, HI. Aug.29. Reproductions, p.D8.
- 2004 Tillman, Lynne. Article."Counting Light” Aperture, NYC, NY. Fall, issue#176. Reproductions, p. 34-41.
- 2004 Miller, Francine Koslow. Review. Art on Paper, NYC, NY. Sept.-Oct., Vol.9, No.1. Reproduction, p. 80-81.
- 2004 Wolff, Denise. Interview. "Finding Gary Schneider”. Photo-eye. Santa Fe, NM. Summer. Reproductions, p. 26-28.
- 2004 Law-Viljoen, Bronwyn. Article. "Bodies of Meaning”. Art South Africa. Cape Town, SA. Vol.3, Issue1. Reproduction, p. 23
- 2004 Boxer, Sarah. Article. "When the Artist is the Curiosity Cabinet” The New York Times – Arts and Leisure. NYC, NY. April 25. Reproductions, p. 30.
- 2004 Frailey,Stephen. Preview. Artforum. New York, NY. January, p. 60.
- 2004 Silver, Joanne. Review. The Boston Herald. Boston, MA., March 5. Reproductions, p. E26.
- 2003 Smith, Roberta. Review. The New York Times. New York, NY. April 4, 2003, p.E39.
- 2003 Aletti, Vince. Review. The Village Voice. New York, NY. April 2–8, 2003, p. 67.
- 2002 Hirsch, Faye. Review. Art on Paper. New York, NY. May–June. Reproduction, p. 70.
- 2001 Aletti, Vince. Article. “Portfolio”, Artforum. New York, NY. September. Reproductions, p. 175-179
- 2001 Millis, Christopher. Review. "Photography’s Future”. The Boston Phoenix. Boston, MA. Nov.16. Reproduction, p. 12.
- 2001 "Under the Skin". Catalogue. Wihelm Lehmbruck Museum Duisburg. Duisburg, Germany. Reproduction, p86-90.
- 2000 Loke, Margarett. Review. "Beauty in the Eye (and the Fingertip)”. The New York Times, NY. March 17. Reproduction, p.E38.
- 2000 "Unnatural Science". Catalogue. MASS MoCA. North Adams, MA. Essay and reproductions.
- 2000 Pollack, Barbara. Article."The Genetic Esthetic”. Artnews. New York, NY. April. Volume 99, #4. Reproductions, pages 133-137, plus cover
- 2000 "Best Essay Depicting Science”. Article. Life Magazine, Spring 2000. New York, NY. Reproductions, p. 36,37
- 2000 "A Decade of Collecting-Harvard University Art Museums". Catalogue, Vol7,#2. Harvard University. Reproduction, p. 96-97.
- 2000 Waterman, Jill. Article."Gary Schneider's Self Scrutiny". ArtsMedia. Boston, MA, April 15-May 15, Reproduction p 31.
- 2000 Aletti, Vince. Review. The Village Voice, Feb. 22, New York, NY. Reproduction, p. 87.
- 1999 Wilford, John Noble. Article."Inside Out: Genetic Self-Portrait by Gary Schneider”. The New York Times Magazine. New York, NY. Oct. 17,1999. Reproductions, pages 106-113.
- 1999 Naisbitt and Philips. "High tech-High touch". Book. Broadway Books. Random House, New York, NY, pages 200-202.
- 1999 Princenthal, Nancy. Review. Art On Paper. New York, NY. Jan. - Feb. 1999. Reproduction, p. 65.
- 1999 "Reflections of the Artist". Catalog. National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, essay and reproductions.
- 1998 DoubleTake. Article. “The Art of Science” . Spring 1998, Durham,NC. Reproduction, p. 55.
- 1998 Woodward, Richard B. Review. Artnews, New York, NY. February. reproduction, p. 121.
- 1998 Debraine,Luc. Review. "Gary Schneider Explore L’Extreme Inyimite de son Corps”. Le Temps, Geneva, Switz. April 12. Reproduction, p. 42.
- 1997 Dr. Curtis Carter. "Gary Schneider: Recent Photographs". Brochure. The Haggerty Museum, Marquette University, Milwaukee, MI. Reproductions.
- 1997 Millis, Christopher. Review. South End News, Boston, MA., July 31. Reproduction,p. 12.
- 1997 Aletti, Vince. Review. The Village Voice, New York, NY., October 22–28.
- 1996 Katz, Vincent. Interview. The Print Collectors Newsletter, New York,NY. March/April. Reproductions, p. 11-14.
- 1995 Sedofsky, Lauren. Article. "Through a Glass Darkly”, Artforum, New York, NY., March. Reproductions, p. 68-73.
- 1995 Aletti, Vince. Review. The Village Voice, New York, NY., “Choices”, March 8.
- 1995 von Ziegesar, Peter. Review. Art in America. October, New York, NY. Reproduction.
- 1994 Conrad,Peter. Review. "Decaying Miracles in a Prison of Time”. The Observer Review. London, England, Sept. 25.
- 1993 Goldberg, Vicki. Article. “Peering into Places that Mere Eyes Cannot See”. The New York Times Arts and Leisure. New York, NY.Feb. 21. Reproductions, p. 39.
- 1992 Aletti, Vince. Review. The Village Voice. New York, NY., “Choice”, June 16, p. 74.
- 1992 Hess, Elizabeth. Review. The Village Voice. New York, NY., June 16, p. 91
- 1991 Aletti, Vince. Review. The Village Voice. New York, NY., “Choice”, April 16, p. 113.
- 1984 Klinker,Claus-Wilhelm. Film review. "Drei radikale Kurzfilme uber Sex - nicht fur Schule". Szone Hamburg. Hamburg, Germany, October, Reproduction and Translation.
- 1982 Whitfield, Tony. Film Review."Psychological Seduction”. The New York Native. New York, NY, Reproduction.