Gary Wolf (journalist)
|Education||Reed College (BA)|
UC Berkeley (MA)
|Known for||Quantified Self|
Gary Wolf is an American writer, contributing editor at Wired magazine, and co-founder of the Quantified Self. Wolf earned a BA from Reed College in Portland, Oregon and an MA from the University of California, Berkeley.
Wolf published for The New York Times Magazine, and Wired. Wolf wrote several long articles for Wired magazine. Among them he wrote an article about Ted Nelson and Project Xanadu, Steve Wozniak, Ray Kurzweil, a long interview with Steve Jobs, and Amazon. He coined the term New Atheism in 2006 to describe the positions promoted by some atheists of the 21st century, among them Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Daniel Dennett.
In 2007, with Kevin Kelly, Wolf co-founded the Quantified Self, a collaboration of users and tool makers who share an interest in self-knowledge through self-tracking. In 2010, he spoke about the movement at TED.
Wolf's parents are noted epilepsy researcher and professor Harold Wolf and professor of education Joan Silverman Wolf.
- Aether Madness: An Offbeat Guide to the Online World, with Michael Stein (Peachpit Press, 1995)
- Dumb Money: Adventures of a Day Trader, with Joey Anuff (Random House, 2000)
- Wired – A Romance (Random House, 2003)
- Singer, Emily. "The Measured Life". MIT. Retrieved July 5, 2011.
- Wolf, Gary (April 28, 2010). "The Data-Driven Life". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved December 13, 2020.
- Wolf, Gary (May 7, 2006). "Magic Mushrooms". The New York Times.
- Wolf, Gary (May 11, 2011). "Gold Mania in the Yukon (Published 2011)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved December 20, 2020.
- Wolf, Gary (June 1, 1995). "The Curse of Xanadu". Wired. San Francisco.
- Wolf, Gary (September 1, 1998). "The World According to Woz". Wired. San Francisco.
- Wolf, Gary (March 24, 2008). "Ray Kurzweil Pulls Out All the Stops (and Pills) to Survive to the Singularity". Wired. San Francisco.
- Wolf, Gary (February 1, 1996). "Steve Jobs: The Next Insanely Great Thing". Wired. San Francisco.
- Wolf, Gary (December 1, 2003). "The Great Library of Amazonia". Wired. San Francisco.
- Wolf, Gary (November 1, 2006). "The Church of the Non-Believers". Wired. San Francisco.
- Wolf, Gary. "Quantified Self". Gary Wolf. Archived from the original on March 27, 2012. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- Wolf, Gary. "The quantified self". TED (conference). Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- Wolf, Gary; Stein, Michael (1995). Aether Madness: An Offbeat Guide to the Online World. Peachpit Press. ISBN 978-1-56609-020-9.
- Wolf, Gary; Anuff, Joey (April 18, 2000). Dumb Money: Adventures of a Day Trader. Random House Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-375-50467-9.
- Wolf, Gary (July 8, 2003). Wired-A Romance. Random House Publishing Group. ISBN 978-1-58836-304-6.