|Origin||Christianshavn, Copenhagen, Denmark|
|Labels||CBS, Sonet, Spectator|
|Past members||Franz Beckerlee
Gasolin' was a Danish rock band from Christianshavn in Copenhagen formed by Kim Larsen, Franz Beckerlee and Wili Jønsson in 1969. Their first drummer was the late Bjørn Uglebjerg. He was replaced by Søren Berlev in 1971. At the formation the guitar playing of Franz Beckerlee was inspired by Jimi Hendrix and the singing and lyrics of Larsen was inspired by Bob Dylan, while the rhythm playing of Jønsson and Berlev owed much to The Beatles. However, they would soon develop their own musical style. The pop sensibility of Kim Larsen, the artistic attitude of Franz Beckerlee and the musical competence of Wili Jønsson would prove to be a recipe for success. Gasolin's lyrics were generally written by the entire group, often with the assistance of friend Mogens Mogensen.
In 1970 Gasolin' released their first single "Silky Sally." It was followed by "Child of Institution" and "Johnny The Jackpot." These three singles were sung in English and flopped. Their debut album and all subsequent albums had Danish lyrics and were a success. Although they would occasionally still sing in English, Danish proved to be the language where they could express themselves most eloquently and this was acknowledged by the Danish audience and critics.
From 1972 to 1978, Gasolin' was the most popular rock band in Denmark. With producer Roy Thomas Baker, they released classics such as Gasolin' 3, Gas 5 and Efter endnu en dag. Some people consider Gasolin' to be the Danish Beatles, with each album a landmark and like The Beatles, breaking up at the pinnacle of their success. The reasons for the split-up was the failure to break the international market and personal differences.
After the demise, Kim Larsen would go on to become a very successful solo artist. His album from 1983, Midt om Natten, is the best-selling album in Denmark ever. Wili Jønsson and Søren Berlev would go on playing music as session musicians and in various bands. Franz Beckerlee works as an artist, but occasionally he played with Søren Berlev in Christianhavns Bluesband and in 1979 he released No Kiddin.
In 1991, the CD compilation Rabalderstræde Forever became a hit as was the box set from 2003 The Black Box. In 2006, a movie called Gasolin' 4-ever directed by Anders Østergaard became the most popular documentary movie in Denmark ever. Despite this, Gasolin' have always refused to reunite.
- Gasolin' (1971) CBS 64685
- Gasolin' 2 (1972) CBS 65229
- Gasolin' 3 (1973) CBS 65798
- Gasolin' (1974) CBS 80099
- The Last Jim (1974) CBS 80470
- Stakkels Jim (1974) CBS 80549
- Gas 5 (1975) CBS 80993
- Live sådan (1976 - live record) CBS 88207
- What a Lemon (1976) Epic EPC 81436 (NL)
- Efter endnu en dag (1976) CBS 81650
- Gør det noget (1977) CBS 82378
- Killin' Time (1978) CBS 82900
- Live i Skandinavien (1978 - live record) CBS 83240
- Supermix 1 (1980 - compilation) CBS 83985
- Supermix (1980 - compilation) CBS 84154
- Rabalderstræde Forever (1991 - compilation) CBS 467871 1
- Derudaf Forever (1993 - live record) COL 473076 1
- A Foreign Affair (1997 - compilation) COL 417177 2
- Gasolin' Forever (1999 - compilation) COL 9907-03
- The Early Years (2000 - compilation) COL 498472 2
- A Foreign Affair II (2002 - compilation) COL 2965-05
- The Black Box (2003 - box set) COL 513876 2
- Masser af succes (2009 - compilation)
All albums were released on CBS or Columbia Records.
- "Silky Sally" / "I've Got to Find The Loser" (1970 - Spectator Records)
- "Child of Institution" / "The Escape" and "W.J." (1970 - Sonet)
- "Johnny The Jackpot" / "Get in Touch with Tomorrow" (1971 - CBS)
- "Holy Jean" / "Lady Rain" (1973 - CBS)
- "Fed lykke til alle" / "I Love You Baby and Truckdriver Blues" (1973 - CBS)
- "Hva' gør vi nu, lille du" / "Keep on Knockin' " (1976 - CBS)
- "Endelig jul igen" / "Get On The Train" (1977 - CBS)
- "Where Do We Go Now, Mon Ami" / "Killin' Time" (1978 - CBS)
- "Uh-Lu-La-Lu" / "Killin' Time" (1978 - CBS)
- "Bob-Shi-Bam (Live)" / "Girl You Got Me Lonely" (Live) (12" only/blue vinyl) (1978 - CBS)
- "Dejlig er jorden" / "Endelig jul igen" (1979 - CBS)
- Paul-Jørgen Budtz: Gasolin' (1976)
- Peder Bundgaard: Masser af success (1993 and 2003)
- Kjukken.dk – Kim Larsens Gasolin’s Diskografie
- Brødre i Ånden, "dän"
- Gasolin in Danish charts - In Danish.