Gastón Giménez (footballer, born 1991)
|Full name||Gastón Claudio Giménez|
|Date of birth||27 July 1991|
|Place of birth||Formosa, Argentina|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 02:03, 2 August 2021 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 01:51, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
Gastón Claudio Giménez (born 27 July 1991) is a professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Major League Soccer club Chicago Fire and the Paraguay national team. Born in Argentina and of Paraguayan descent, Giménez represented Argentina in a friendly before switching to represent the Paraguay national team.
Giménez's career started in 2011 with Almirante Brown. His debut arrived at the beginning of the 2011–12 Primera B Nacional season, when he played the final fifteen minutes in a goalless draw away to Rosario Central on 1 October 2011. In February 2012, Giménez scored the first goal of his career in a 2–0 win over Defensa y Justicia. After one goal in nineteen games in his first season, Giménez went onto make another sixty-nine appearances and score three more goals for the club across the next two seasons. In June 2014, Giménez signed for fellow Primera B Nacional team Atlético Tucumán. One goal in fifteen matches followed.
On 2 February 2015, Giménez joined Argentine Primera División side Godoy Cruz. Months later, on 30 May 2015, he was sent off in just his second start for the club versus Unión Santa Fe; the second time in his career that he had received a red card in a match against Unión Santa Fe, the first occurred in March 2014 whilst with Almirante Brown. Giménez remained with Godoy Cruz for a total of four seasons, prior to departing in January 2018 to join Estudiantes of the Primera División. Vélez Sarsfield purchased Giménez in the following July.
Giménez was born in Argentina and is of Paraguayan descent. In November 2018, Giménez was called up to the Argentina national team by Lionel Scaloni for friendlies with Mexico. He made his international debut in the first friendly with Mexico on 16 November, being substituted on for Giovani Lo Celso with two minutes remaining. He was selected on Scaloni's preliminary squad for the 2019 Copa América. On 20 July 2020, Giménez confirmed claims by Paraguay national team coach Eduardo Berizzo and announced that he had finalized naturalization proceedings, making him eligible to play for Paraguay. On 28 September 2020, he was called up for the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification matches against Peru and Venezuela by Paraguay national team coach Eduardo Berizzo. He made his competitive debut with Paraguay on 8 October as a starter of the match against Peru, making him cap-tied to Paraguay. He scored on his second cap away to Venezuela.
- As of 16 December 2020.
|Almirante Brown||2011–12||Primera B Nacional||19||1||0||0||—||—||0||0||19||1|
|Atlético Tucumán||2014||Primera B Nacional||15||1||0||0||—||—||0||0||15||1|
|Godoy Cruz||2015||Primera División||17||0||0||0||—||—||0||0||17||0|
|Vélez Sarsfield||2018–19||Primera División||24||0||0||0||4||1||—||0||0||28||1|
|Chicago Fire||2020||Major League Soccer||18||0||0||0||—||—||0||0||18||0|
- As of 16 December 2020.
- As of 13 October 2020
- Scores and results list Paraguay's goal tally first, score column indicates score after each Giménez goal.
|1||2||13 October 2020||Estadio Metropolitano, Mérida, Venezuela||Venezuela||1–0||1–0||2022 FIFA World Cup qualification|||
- "Gastón Giménez profile". Soccerway. 15 February 2018. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Gastón Giménez profile". BDFA. 15 February 2018. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Godoy Cruz sumó al volante Gastón Giménez y perdió al defensor Arias". ESPN. 3 February 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Gastón Giménez estampó la firma en Estudiantes". TyC Sports. 28 December 2017. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Chicago Fire FC Acquires Argentine Midfielder Gastón Giménez as Designated Player | Chicago Fire FC".
- "Gazzaniga y Gastón Giménez, convocados a la Selección". TyC Sports. 9 November 2018. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Los 40 preseleccionados por Lionel Scaloni para la Copa América". Marca. 16 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Gastón Giménez se pone a disposición de Berizzo". Tigo Sports. 20 July 2020. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- "Lista de 28 futbolistas para el primer combo de Eliminatorias". apf.org.py (in Spanish). Asociación Paraguaya de Fútbol. 28 September 2020.
- Gastón Giménez at Soccerway