Silva with Uruguay in 2017
|Full name||Gastón Alexis Silva Perdomo|
|Date of birth||5 March 1994|
|Place of birth||Salto, Uruguay|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2016–2017||→ Granada (loan)||21||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 30 June 2017|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 15 June 2018
Silva also holds Italian nationality, thus not restricted by the league regulation on non-European Union citizens.
He began his professional career in Defensor Sporting, debuting on 8 November 2011, at age 16, in the 0–2 away win against Montevideo Wanderers, substituting Brahian Alemán. On 18 April 2012 he made his official debut in the Copa Libertadores in a 1–3 away win against Argentina's Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield. He made a total of 29 appearances and provided 2 assists between the Uruguayan Primera División and Copa Libertadores
In the 2011–12 Uruguayan Primera División season he played a game in the Apertura tournament, but was often a starter in the Clausura tournament, contributing to the final victory. The following season, he played in all 17 games in the league and four in the Copa Libertadores, confirming his position as one of the emerging prospects of Uruguayan football.
On 21 July 2014 Silva transferred to Serie A side Torino for €2.3 million, signing a four-year contract with an option for a fifth. On 18 September he made his debut for Torino in the UEFA Europa League against Club Brugge; he scored his first goal ever for Torino in the cup against Copenhagen, ending 1–5.
Pumas UNAM–Independiente Controversy
On 24 July 2017, it was announced that Mexican club Pumas UNAM had signed Silvia on a two-year contract. However, on 27 July Italian side Torino (the club that held the contractual rights of the player) had announced that Silva was officially transferred to Pumas UNAM. Silva was expected to appear in Mexico City for the contract signing on 31 July but sources in Argentina indicated that said player had already passed medical examinations and eventually signed with Argentine Club Independiente even though his pay would be much less than that Pumas UNAM had offered. Pumas UNAM was not aware of this action which generated much disappointment. On 1 August 2017 UNAM stated in a press conference that they would take the proper measures and possibly enact legal action against Gastón Silva by consulting with Liga MX and Femexfut executives. The case is currently under investigation and could possibly be taken to FIFA on a later date. Source: Mediotiempo.com.
In June 2018, UNAM loses the case against Silva and is ordered to pay over one million, six hundred dollars ($USD) to Italian side Torino for a player transfer that was never fulfilled.
During 2011, Silva played with the Uruguayan national under-17 football team at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico. Previously, he played the 2011 South American Under-17 Football Championship in Ecuador. In 2012, Silva played with the Uruguayan national under-20 football team at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey. In 2011, he was named to participate in the Uruguay national football team under-22 squad for the 2011 Pan American Games.
Style of play
Naturally left-footed, at Defensor Sporting he was fielded as a left full-back, his preferred role, while in the national team he is often used as a central defender. Proficient in the tackle, Silva has excellent technique, physicality and ability in the air.
- Statistics accurate as of match played 15 June 2018.
- Uruguay U-17
- 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup: Runner-Up
- 2011 South American Under-17 Football Championship: Runner-Up
- 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup: Runner-Up
- "2018 FIFA World Cup: List of players" (PDF). FIFA. 18 June 2018. p. 32.
- "Gaston Silva, grinta da Toro" (in Italian). Tuttosport. 20 July 2014. Archived from the original on 8 February 2017. Retrieved 16 January 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Classe e carattere: ecco Gaston Silva, il difensore ad un passo dal Torino…". gianlucadimarzio.com (in Italian). Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Gaston Silva è del Torino". gazzetta.it (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Gastòn Silva al Toro". torinofc.it (in Italian). Torino Football Club. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Gastón Silva se incorpora para apuntalar la zaga rojiblanca" [Gaston Silva joined to bolster the defense of the rojiblanca] (in Spanish). Granada CF. 18 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Las Palmas asalta el liderato con goleada al Granada" [Las Palmas take the leadership with a routing over Granada] (in Spanish). Marca. 28 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Gastón Silva". Soccerway. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Gastón Silva". BDFutbol. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- Gastón Silva at National-Football-Teams.com