Gate of Heaven Cemetery (East Hanover, New Jersey)
|Location||East Hanover, New Jersey|
|Owned by||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark|
|Size||128 acres (0.52 km2) |
|No. of graves||81,000 |
|Website||Gate of Heaven Cemetery|
Gate of Heaven Cemetery is a cemetery located in East Hanover Township in Morris County, New Jersey, United States. The cemetery is operated under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. It opened in 1937 and had 81,000 burials through 2002. 100 of the cemetery's original 128 acres (0.52 km2) have been developed. Construction started in 1989 on Chapel Mausoleum, which was planned to include 10,000 crypts.
- Hugh Joseph Addonizio (1914-1981), represented New Jersey's 11th congressional district from 1949 to 1962, and mayor of Newark, New Jersey, from 1962 to 1970.
- Yogi Berra (1925-2015), Baseball Hall of Famer who played for the New York Yankees from 1946 to 1963.
- Denise Borino-Quinn (1964-2010), actress known for her role as Ginny Sack on The Sopranos.
- Ownie Carroll (1902-1975), Major League Baseball pitcher who played nine seasons in the major, from 1925 to 1934.
- Eugene Francis Kinkead (1876-1960), represented New Jersey's 9th congressional district from 1909 to 1913, and the 8th district from 1913 to 1915.
- Tony Mottola (1918-2004), guitarist who played with Frank Sinatra and on The Tonight Show.
- Karen Ann Quinlan (1954-1985), an important figure in the history of the right to die debate in the United States.
- Peter W. Rodino (1909-2005), U.S. congressman from New Jersey from 1949 to 1989.
- Arthur Walsh (1896-1947), U.S. senator from New Jersey from 1943 until 1944.
- "Gate of Heaven Cemetery". Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. Retrieved 2007-08-26.
The cemetery was established in 1937 and has accepted 81,000 burials to the end of calendar year 2002, averaging 1,432 burials each year for the past 10 years. This facility is located in East Hanover, Morris County, outside the boundary of the Archdiocese of Newark, but serves western Essex County in the center area of the Archdiocese. The original parcel contains 128 acres (0.52 km2), 100 of which are developed. In 1989 construction began on a 10,000 crypt Chapel Mausoleum. It continues to offer in-ground as well as private and community Chapel Mausoleum facilities. A special group of crypts are now available at the Altar in the main chapel as well as new niches spaces in glass and marble.
- Denise Borino-Quinn at Gate of Heaven Cemetery
- Ownie Carroll Stats, Baseball Almanac. Accessed August 19, 2007.
- Eugene Francis Kinkead biography, United States Congress. Accessed August 4, 2007.
- "Tearful Rites for Karen Quinlan", Bergen Record, June 16, 1985. Accessed August 4, 2007. "A procession of about 75 cars then drove to Gate of Heaven Cemetery in East Hanover."