Gateway Church (Texas)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Senior pastor(s)||Robert Morris (lead senior pastor) |
Jimmy Evans (senior pastor)
Gateway Church is a non-denominational, charismatic Christian multi-site megachurch based in Southlake, Texas, near Fort Worth. It has an estimated weekly attendance of 36,000 as of 2016 and is one of the largest churches in the United States. The church was founded by Robert Morris.
On September 16, 1999, Pastor Robert Morris began to plan an evangelistic church in Southlake, Texas. Gateway Church's first service was held on Easter morning, April 23, 2000, at the Hilton Hotel in Grapevine. Approximately 180 people attended the service. The church grew, and moved to an old movie theater in Grapevine. In June 2003 the church moved into its first permanent building, a 600-seat, 64,000-square-foot (5,900 m2) facility on Southlake Blvd. In 2010 Gateway opened its current facility, a 64-acre (26 ha) property with a 4,000-seat sanctuary.
In 2016 Gateway reported official giving records totaled over $500 million for the previous four years (2013–2016). For 2016 their annual report showed revenues of $127.2 million minus $123.9 million expenses, $3.5 million less than total revenue. Gateway also spent $9.9 million on land and other expenditures which includes the land for the Frisco location and the Dallas campus.
In 2017 Gateway Church confirmed 10–15% downsizing of their entire staff. The downsizing story gained national attention by other church media outlets.
In 2008, the church began work on a new main campus located along State Highway 114. The project included a 4,000-seat sanctuary. It opened on November 13, 2010. Mark Jobe, father of contemporary Christian singer Kari Jobe, serves as the Campus Pastor.
In early 2019, Gateway Church announced it was starting a ministry inside the Coffield Unit, the largest prison in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. It is open to minimum security inmates (and, with special permission, medium security inmates) but all inmates may obtain church materials. The church also ministers at the Estes Unit outside of Venus. Stephen Wilson, an ex-offender who earned his masters from Liberty University and has ministered in prisons previously, serves as the leader of both of these prison efforts. The church uses the term 'campus' in describing each prison outreach program.
The King's University at Gateway
The King's University was founded in 1997 by Jack W. Hayford. in Van Nuys, California. In September 2012, The King's University at Gateway was launched. The school offers full accredited undergraduate, master's, and a doctorate degree. When initially launched, the Southlake campus was an extension campus for the California-based school. On November 14, 2013, there was a special Dedication Service and Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at The King's University at Gateway Church making it the main campus for King's University. The campus is located at the former Southlake church building on Southlake Boulevard. Dr. Jon Chasteen serves as the president.
Gateway Church utilizes its Worship Band to lead worship services and create original music that it sells on a commercial record label. Its Live album God Be Praised was released on November 9, 2010, with Japanese, Korean and Portuguese versions released in 2012. The live album, Walls, which was released on October 2, 2015, reached No. 1 on Billboard's Top Christian Albums Chart.
- "Robert Morris". Gateway Church. March 9, 2015. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- "Jimmy Evans". Gateway Church. March 9, 2015. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Smith, Diane. "Gateway Church wants 100 percent of its members to vote". Fort Work Star-Telegram. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- "Southlake-based Gateway Church confirms it will cut staff by 10-15 percent". Retrieved August 24, 2017.
- "Gateway Church opens new campus". MySouthlakeNews.com. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- "Gateway Church Seeing Revival, 500 Salvations at Its New Prison Church Campus". CBN News. February 4, 2019.
- "Gateway Church". gatewaypeople.com.
- "Gateway Church". gatewaypeople.com. Retrieved October 5, 2019.
- "Texas megachurch opens new campus in maximum-security prison: 'Our brothers and sisters in Christ'". Fox News. January 31, 2019. Retrieved October 5, 2019.
- "Hayford, Morris Help the King's University Vision Thrive". CharismaMag.com. 2013. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- "TKU – Accreditation and Assessment". TKU.edu. 2017. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- "Dr. Jon Chasteen". The King's University. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Billboard AllMusic