Gateway Regional High School (New Jersey)
|Gateway Regional High School District|
|775 Tanyard Road
Woodbury Heights, NJ 08096
|Superintendent||Dr. Shannon Whalen|
|Business administrator||Donna Contrevo|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||898 (as of 2013-14)|
|Faculty||81.1 (on FTE basis)|
|District Factor Group||CD|
|Gateway Regional High School|
|775 Tanyard Road
Woodbury Heights, NJ 08096
|Type||Public high school|
|Vice Principals||Michael DiCicco (High School)
Michael D'Ostilio (Middle)
|Grades||7 - 12|
|Athletics conference||Colonial Conference|
Gateway Regional High School is a regional school district and public high school serving students in seventh through twelfth grades from the boroughs of National Park, Wenonah, Westville and Woodbury Heights, four communities in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States.
The Board of Education for the Gateway Regional High School District consists of nine members: Three members come from Westville (the largest community in the district) and two each come from National Park, Wenonah and Woodbury Heights.
As of the 2013-14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 898 students and 81.1 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.1:1. There were 244 students (27.2% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 68 (7.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "CD", the sixth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 195th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 141st in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 197th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 151st in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 176th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 181st out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 29 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (78.7%) and language arts literacy (93.9%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Gateway Regional High School Gators compete in the Colonial Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 437 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as South Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 182 to 473 students in that grade range.
The boys baseball team won the 2009 South Jersey Group I NJSIAA State Sectional Title, advancing to the Group I tournament where they lost to David Brearley High School 6–2 in the semi-final round.
- Dr. Shannon Whalen, Superintendent
- Donna Contrevo, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Jeffrey Pierro - Principal
- Michael DiCicco - High School Vice Principal
- Michael D'Ostilio - Middle School Vice Principal
- Grace Helbig (born 1985), comedian, actress and internet personality.
- Steve Squyres (born 1957), principal investigator for the science payload on the Mars Exploration Rover Project.
- Tim Squyres (born 1959), Academy Award-nominated film editor of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hulk, and Syriana, among others.
- Stephen Starr, CEO of Starr Restaurants.
- School Data for Gateway Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Gateway Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Gateway Regional High School District 2015 School Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 26, 2016. "Gateway Regional High School is a one school district located in Woodbury Heights, NJ. It serves students in grades 7-12 from the municipalities of National Park, Wenonah, Westville, and Woodbury Heights."
- Shryock, Bob. "Plans are in the works for Gateway's 50th anniversary", Gloucester County Times, March 22, 2012. Accessed June 8, 2016. "The 50-year milestone is based on Gateway opening in the fall of 2014 when four sending districts (Woodbury Heights, Westville, National Park and Wenonah) split from Woodbury and sent seventh, eighth and ninth graders to the new school on Egg Harbor Road in Woodbury Heights."
- About the Board, Gateway Regional Board of Education. Accessed August 9, 2008.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 9, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for South Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 9, 2014.
- 2009 Baseball Tournament - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 25, 2009.
- Administrators - Main Office, Gateway Regional High School. Accessed November 9, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Gloucester County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 9, 2014.
- Home Page, Gateway Regional School District. Accessed July 20, 2015. "The Gateway Regional School District would like to formally introduce our new principal, Mr. Jeffrey Pierro"
- Callahan, Kevin. "Versatile Helbig excels in classroom, on track and now with pole vault", Courier-Post, January 9, 2003. Accessed July 24, 2012. "Grace Helbig strives to do really well in the classroom, so it is not surprising the senior at Gateway High School wants to do well on the athletic field."
- Mars Exploration: Zip Code Mars. Accessed June 13, 2007.
- O'Connell, Kaelin. "Going for the gold", Today's Sunbeam, February 24, 2008. Accessed February 28, 2008. "In 2001 Tim Squyres, a Gateway Regional High School graduate and a Wenonah native, was nominated for his editing work on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."
- Tanaka, Wendy. "Mastermind behind high-concept eateries Since '95, Stephen Starr has built a restaurant empire.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, May 26, 2002. Accessed August 7, 2013. "He grew up in Woodbury Heights, the son of a television repairman. At Gateway Regional High School, he became known for promoting concerts - a fledgling business back in the late 1960s."
- Gateway Regional High School
- Gateway Regional High School's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Gateway Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Gateway HS