Gateway Regional High School (New Jersey)
|Gateway Regional High School District|
775 Tanyard Road|
Woodbury Heights, NJ 08096
|Superintendent||Dr. Shannon Whalen|
|Business administrator||Donna Contrevo|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||947 (as of 2015-16)|
|District Factor Group||CD|
|Gateway Regional High School|
775 Tanyard Road|
Woodbury Heights, NJ 08096
|Type||Public high school|
|Athletics conference||Colonial Conference|
Gateway Regional High School is a regional school district and public high school serving students in seventh through twelfth grades from the boroughs of National Park, Wenonah, Westville and Woodbury Heights, four communities in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States.
The Board of Education for the Gateway Regional High School District consists of nine members: Three members come from Westville (the largest community in the district) and two each come from National Park, Wenonah and Woodbury Heights.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 947 students and 83.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.4:1. There were 249 students (26.3% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 76 (8.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "CD", the sixth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 195th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 141st in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 197th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 151st in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 176th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 181st out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 29 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (78.7%) and language arts literacy (93.9%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Gateway Regional High School Gators compete in the Colonial Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 499 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 496 to 778 students in that grade range. The football team competes in the Memorial Division of the 95-team West Jersey Football League superconference and was classified by the NJSIAA as South Jersey Group I for football for 2017-18.
The school operates as the host school / lead agency for cooperative girls' and boys' cross country, boys' and girls' swimming and for wrestling with Woodbury Junior-Senior High School, under an agreement that expires at the end of the 2018-19 school year.
The field hockey team was the South II sectional champion in 1971 and won the South Jersey Group I state sectional championship in 2001.
The boys' baseball team won the 2009 South Jersey Group I NJSIAA state sectional Title, advancing to the Group I tournament where they lost to David Brearley High School 6–2 in the semi-final round.
- Dr. Shannon Whalen, Superintendent
- Donna Contrevo, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Jeffrey Pierro - Principal
- Kevin Fahy, Vice Principal Grades 10-12
- Louis Raba, Vice Principal Grades 7-9
- Grace Helbig (born 1985), comedian, actress and internet personality.
- Steve Squyres (born 1957), principal investigator for the science payload on the Mars Exploration Rover Project.
- Tim Squyres (born 1959), Academy Award-nominated film editor of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hulk, and Syriana, among others.
- Stephen Starr, CEO of Starr Restaurants.
- School data for Gateway Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Gateway Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Gateway Regional High School District 2016-17 School Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed March 14, 2018. "Gateway Regional High School is located in Woodbury Heights, approximately 15 miles from Philadelphia, Pa. It consists of four sending districts - Wenonah, Woodbury Heights, Westville, and National Park. Gateway is currently a choice district which allows students from outside our district to attend without any charge to the parents."
- Shryock, Bob. "Plans are in the works for Gateway's 50th anniversary", Gloucester County Times, March 22, 2012. Accessed June 8, 2016. "The 50-year milestone is based on Gateway opening in the fall of 2014 when four sending districts (Woodbury Heights, Westville, National Park and Wenonah) split from Woodbury and sent seventh, eighth and ninth graders to the new school on Egg Harbor Road in Woodbury Heights."
- About the Board, Gateway Regional Board of Education. Accessed August 9, 2008.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 9, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- Divisions, West Jersey Football League. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- NJSIAA Football Public School Classifications 2017-2018, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, finalized August 2, 2017. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- NJSIAA 2017 - 2019 Co-Operative Sports Programs, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- 2015 Field Hockey Tournament of Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- 2015 Soccer Championships Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- 2009 Baseball Tournament - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 25, 2009.
- Administrators - Main Office, Gateway Regional High School. Accessed September 28, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Gloucester County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- Home Page, Gateway Regional School District. Accessed July 20, 2015. "The Gateway Regional School District would like to formally introduce our new principal, Mr. Jeffrey Pierro"
- Callahan, Kevin. "Versatile Helbig excels in classroom, on track and now with pole vault", Courier-Post, January 9, 2003. Accessed July 24, 2012. "Grace Helbig strives to do really well in the classroom, so it is not surprising the senior at Gateway High School wants to do well on the athletic field."
- Mars Exploration: ZIP Code Mars. Accessed June 13, 2007.
- O'Connell, Kaelin. "Going for the gold", Today's Sunbeam, February 24, 2008. Accessed February 28, 2008. "In 2001 Tim Squyres, a Gateway Regional High School graduate and a Wenonah native, was nominated for his editing work on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."
- Tanaka, Wendy. "Mastermind behind high-concept eateries Since '95, Stephen Starr has built a restaurant empire.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, May 26, 2002. Accessed December 26, 2017. "He grew up in Woodbury Heights, the son of a television repairman. At Gateway Regional High School, he became known for promoting concerts - a fledgling business back in the late 1960s."