- The nearby town in Uganda is called Katuna.
|Elevation||5,970 ft (1,820 m)|
|Population (August 2012 (Estimate))|
Gatuna is the busiest border crossing in Rwanda. It handles most of Rwanda's imports and exports since most imports and exports via the coast to and from Rwanda pass through Uganda. Due to increased commercial and tourist traffic, Gatuna is a fast-growing town. The border at Gatuna/Katuna is open 24 hours a day.
Gatuna is located in Burera District, Northern Province, at the border with the Republic of Uganda. Its location is about 80 kilometres (50 mi), by road, north of Kigali, Rwanda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of the town are:01 26 06S, 30 01 16E (Latitude:-1.4350; Longitude:30.0210).
Population of Gatuna is around 41,000 people
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- Offices of Gatuna Town Council
- Gatuna Central Market
- The International Border Crossing between Rwanda and Uganda - The border crossing is open 24 hours daily.
- A branch of the Bank of Kigali
- Khen, Travor (30 July 2012). "Curbing Illicit Trade". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "East Africa: Rwanda-Uganda Border to Open 24-7". East African Business Week (Kampala)via AllAfrica.com. 15 November 2009. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "Map Showing Kigali And Gatuna With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- Nakaweesi, Dorothy (24 March 2010). "Uganda-Rwanda Border Open 24 Hours". Daily Monitor via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 19 April 2014.