|• Mayor||Friedrich Janz|
|• Total||7.99 km2 (3.08 sq mi)|
|Elevation||139 m (456 ft)|
|• Density||260/km2 (670/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
- 1 Geography
- 2 Politics
- 3 Culture and sightseeing
- 4 Economy and infrastructure
- 5 Famous people
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Gau-Bickelheim lies south of the Wißberg (mountain) in the Rheinhessisches Hügelland (Rhenish-Hessian Uplands).
The council is made up of 16 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
The municipal election held on 7 June 2009 yielded the following results:
|CDU||WG Gau-Bickelh.||WG Erbenich||Gesamt|
Gau-Bickelheim’s mayor is Friedrich Janz (CDU).
Coat of arms
The municipality’s arms might be described thus: Per fess abased argent three pickaxes palewise in fess, the middle one abased, gules, and gules a wheel spoked of six of the first.
The pickaxes are a canting charge: “Pickaxe” is Pickel in German, which sounds rather like the second and third syllables of the municipality’s name, Gau-Bickelheim. The escutcheon’s base contains the Wheel of Mainz, an historical symbol of Electoral Mainz.
Culture and sightseeing
- Pfarrkirche St. Martin (“Saint Martin’s Parish Church”)
- Kreuzkapelle (“Cross Chapel”)
Economy and infrastructure
Running through the municipality is Bundesstraße 420. Running nearby from northwest to southeast is the Autobahn A 61. The Gau-Bickelheim interchange (Nr. 52) is not right on Bundesstraße 420, but rather, it can be reached over Bundesstraße 50. The interchange itself is rather a sprawling one and looks somewhat like a half cloverleaf. This came about because the original plan called for there to be an interchange between the A 60 and the A 61 here. In the mid 1990s, an off-highway service centre was built nearby.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Richard Groß, politician
Famous people associated with the municipality
- School inspector Franz-Josef-Spang, local historian
- The writer Arno Schmidt lived for a short while in Gau-Bickelheim after the Second World War as an Umsiedler (member of a mass migration). The municipality is mentioned in passing at the beginning of the narrative Schwarze Spiegel (“Black Mirrors”). The narrative Die Umsiedler gives this time a literary treatment.
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31. Dezember 2015" (PDF). Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
- Kommunalwahl Rheinland-Pfalz 2009, Gemeinderat
- Description and explanation of Gau-Bickelheim’s arms
- Pfarrkirche St. Martin
- Netzplan vom 1. Januar 1976
- Polizeiautobahnstation Gau-Bickelheim
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gau-Bickelheim.|