Motto in English
|Achievement through Learning/Knowledge|
|Type||Public – Research|
|Established||26 January 1948|
|Chancellor||Governor of Assam|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU, AICTE|
Gauhati University located in Jalukbari, Guwahati, is the oldest and one of the most renowned universities in North East India. It was established in 1948. It is a teaching-&-affiliating university. It is accredited grade A by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).There are several colleges, institutes etc. that are affiliated to this university. At present there are approximately 326 Colleges/Institutes which comes under this university, which are mostly located in the districts of Lower Assam.
The first public demand was made at the annual session of the Assam Association held at Sivasagar in 1917. In 1940 the Government appointed S. K. Bhuyan as Special Officer with the task of collecting relevant information on the selection of site and related matters. The university was established by an act of the State Legislature: the Gauhati University Act 1947 (Assam Act, XVI of 1947) of the government of Assam in 1948. The first court meeting of the university was held on 26 January 1948, which is considered the foundation day, at the old Sudmerson Hall of Cotton College, Guwahati. It had 17 affiliated colleges and eight Post Graduate Departments on its establishment.
The University which started functioning from the city center was shifted to the present campus in 1955–56.
The G.U. Court, The Executive Council, and The Academic Council are the authorities of the University.
The university is in Jalukbari in the Guwahati city area. The campus has a hillock on the southern side and the mighty river the Brahmaputra is flowing on the northern side. The campus area has been developed into a small township, now known as 'Gopinath Bardoloi Nagar'. It has about 5000 population including 3000 students residing in the hostels.
Apart from the residential quarters of teachers, officers and employees, there are 22 halls of residence for students. The necessary civic amenities such as health service, water supply, street lighting, internal roads, guest house, post and telegraph office, a branch of the State Bank of India, United Bank Of India, canteens, a market, parks, playgrounds, auditorium, indoor stadium, etc. are on campus.
The university is 10 km from the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport on National Highway No. 37; 5 km from Kamakhya Railway Station; and 10 km from Guwahati Railway Station as well as from the bus stop near the Cachari (D.C. court) at the heart of Guwahati City. The capital complex of Assam at Dispur is 22 km from the university. The university is easily accessible from the Guwahati city; Guwahati has road, rail and air links from all parts of the country. A large number of bus services from parts of Assam have their station at Adabari bus stand which is 2 km from the campus.
To automate their internal processes, Gauhati University has chosen Kalingasoft's flagship Education ERP solution, Greycells. This implementation has resulted in the complete automation of the university's academic, administrative and financial processes.
Library and regional center
The North Eastern Regional Centre (NERC) of the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) is in the Gauhati University Central Library Extension Building. Along with Bangalore ICHR Regional Centre, this is the only regional centre in GU so far.
The library is the largest in Assam, holding about 850,000 books, magazines, and journals in its collection. It also hosts about 5,000 valuable priceless manuscripts, some more than 300 years old.
The institution is divided into following academic units:
- Faculty of Arts
- Communication and Journalism
- Disabilities Studies
- English Language Teaching
- Foreign Languages
- Library and Information Science
- Modern Indian Languages (Odia, Tamil, Nepali)
- Political Science
- Women’s Studies
- Faculty of Sciences
- Faculty of Technology
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Management
- Faculty of Law
When Gauhati University was established, it had 17 affiliated colleges. Today it has 326 colleges in Assam which are affiliated to Gauhati University.
Residential student halls
Hall of Residence for Women
- Nalinibala Devi
- Rani Gaidalu Law
- Chandraprabha Saikia
- Indira Miri
- Puspalata Das
- Padmawati Devi
- New Girls' Hostel
- Mulagabharu Girls' Hostel
- Gandhi Bhawan
Hall of Residence for Men
- Madhab Bezbaruah
- Gopinath Bardoloi
- Dr. Banikanta Kakati
- Dr. Bhubaneswar Baruah
- V. Venkata Rao
- Lakshminath Bez baruah
- Sahityacharya Atul Chandra Hazarika
- Padmanath Gohain Baruah
- Lachit Barphukan
- Rupkonwar Jyotiprasad Agarwala
- Jnanadabhiram Baruah
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||61|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||39|
Notable Alumni and Faculty
- Ambika Charan Choudhury, litterateur
- Jitendra Nath Goswami, Indian scientist, Chief scientist of Chandrayaan-1
- Bhabananda Deka, economist
- Mamoni Raisom Goswami, novelist, Sahitya Akademi Award (1983), Jnanpith Award(2001)
- Sarbananda Sonowal, politician, current Chief Minister of Assam
- Mukundakam Sharma, Lawyer, former judge in the Supreme Court of India, former Chief Justice of Delhi High Court
- Atul Bora, politician
- Himanta Biswa Sarma, politician
- Siddhartha Bhattacharya, politician
- Nirmal Prabha Bordoloi, novelist
- Arupa Kalita Patangia, novelist
- Bhupendra Nath Goswami, Indian meteorologist
- Mahim Bora, Indian writer, Sahitya Akademi Award (2001), Padma Shri (2011)
- Tarun Gogoi, former Chief Minister of Assam
- Harishankar Brahma, 19th Chief Election Commissioner of India
- Birendra Nath Datta, Indian researcher, Padma Shri (2009)
- Kishore Jadav, writer
- Krishna Kanta Handique, founder Vice-Chancellor of Gauhati University, Padma shri(1955), Padma Bhushan(1967)
- Banikanta Kakati, former Dean of Faculty of Arts and Head of the Assamese Department.
- Maheswar Neog, former professor
- Debo Prasad Barooah, former Vice-Chancellor
- Amarjyoti Choudhury, former lecturer
- N. U. Prabhu, former lecturer
- Bhabendra Nath Saikia, former lecturer
- Mukundakam Sharma, former lecturer
- Surya Kumar Bhuyan, former Vice-Chancellor
- http://www.gauhati.ac.in/profile-vice-chancellor.php[dead link]
- "H i s t o r y". Gauhati.ac.in. Archived from the original on May 18, 2011. Retrieved February 14, 2012.
- "A d m i n i s t r a t i o n". Gauhati.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Manuscript Conservation Centres Archived 6 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine National Mission for Manuscripts.
- "Varsity effort to preserve old manuscripts". The Times Of India. 2012-02-06.
- Gauhati University to offer PG courses in 4 regional languages- Nyooz
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.