Gauntlet (2014 video game)
|Developer(s)||Arrowhead Game Studios|
|Publisher(s)||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
Nils Hansson Bjerke
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4|
|Genre(s)||Hack and slash, dungeon crawl|
Gauntlet is a top-down hack and slash dungeon crawl video game, developed by Arrowhead Game Studios and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Part of the Gauntlet series, it was released on 23 September 2014. The game was released for the SteamOS Linux operating system later in the year. Gauntlet was released for the PlayStation 4 as Gauntlet: Slayer Edition in August 2015.
The player takes the role of one of four heroes, Thor the Warrior, Thyra the Valkyrie, Merlin the Wizard, or Questor the Elf, (one player per race) allowing up to four-player multiplayer co-op gameplay. The dungeons to be explored are part defined maps and part procedurally generated.
Gauntlet received mixed reviews from critics. Aggregating review websites Metacritic gave the PC version a 69/100. Gaming website Shacknews stated that "so far, it looks like Gauntlet properly captures much of the spirit that made the 1985 arcade game so much fun", while also stating that the game isn't very intuitive in terms of figuring out the unlocked mechanics as you progress through the game. Chris Brown of New Zealand website Gameplanet stated "Gauntlet scratches an itch I didn't realise I had", finding it "simple, but not brainless" but also "fun as hell"; he also highlighted the user interface in their preview build as "awkward." In comparison to the 30-year-old original, Destructoid opined "the game isn't a true recreation; it's more Arrowhead's ideal take on it", finding that "while the content may feel sort of new, nothing's ever really that fresh with Gauntlet. And that's probably just the way that fans would want it." Dave Rudden from IGN gave the game 6.8/10, praising its four-player co-op while criticizing the repetitive gameplay and low replay value. Daniel Tack of Game Informer gave the game a score of 7/10; finding the boss battles enjoyable, but insufficient; and the game's level design bland and repetitive, describing it as a "sleepy, automated button mash". Michael P. Huber, of GameTrailers, gave the game a 7.9/10, praising the four distinct classes while also criticizing the lack of varied environment and replay value.
- Petit, Carolyn (2014-03-24). "Gauntlet: You Haven't Needed Food This Badly Since the '80s". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Johnson, Erik (2014-08-28). "Gauntlet reboot delayed, still arrives next month". MCV. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Wong, Steven (2014-09-15). "Gauntlet hands-on impressions: Wealth, power, and extra helpings of turkey". Shacknews. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Brown, Chris (2014-09-16). "Gauntlet hands-on". Gameplanet. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Tan, Nick (2014-09-15). "Gauntlet Preview - Throw down the gauntlet". Game Revolution. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Dawe, Liam (2014-09-23). "Gauntlet Linux Version Delayed For Steam Machines". GamingOnLinux. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- Johnson, Erik (2014-08-28). "Gauntlet reboot delayed, still arrives next month". MCV. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- Matulef, Jeffery (July 8, 2015). "Gauntlet: Slayer Edition coming to PS4 in August". Eurogamer. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- Good, Owen S. (2014-03-17). "Gauntlet returns this summer to PC, see its brand-new look in this trailer". Polygon. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- "Gaunlet for PC reviews". Metacritic.
- Daniel Tack (29 September 2014). "Gauntlet: Fleeting Fun". Game Informer. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Michael Huber (29 September 2014). "Gauntlet (2014) - Review". GameTrailers. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Dave Rudden (29 September 2014). "Gauntlet review". IGN. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Chris Carter (29 September 2014). "Review: Gauntlet (2014)". Destructoid. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- James Kozanitis (25 September 2014). "Review: Gauntlet". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Steven Wong (25 September 2014). "Gauntlet review: Quintessential dungeon crawling". Shacknews. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Makedonski, Brett (2014-04-10). "Gauntlet is a lot like you remember, just upgraded". Destructoid. Retrieved 2014-09-17.