|San Benito Junior College (1919–1963)|
|President||Kathleen A. Rose|
|Location||Gilroy, California, U.S.A.|
|Colors||Navy blue, Red, and White|
|Affiliations||California Community Colleges|
|Mascot||Rocky T. Ram|
The college was established in 1919 as the San Benito County Junior College. It operated as such until 1963, when a new community college district was drawn that included both San Benito County and southern Santa Clara County. The college moved to its present main campus in 1968.
The main campus is in Gilroy, California. In 1997, satellite sites were added in Hollister and Morgan Hill to augment offerings on the main campus. In 2008 land was purchased in Coyote Valley and San Benito County for the future development of additional campuses. In 2017, Phase 1 of the Coyote Valley Center was completed, becoming Gavilan's newest instructional site and the home for South Bay Public Safety Training Consortium police and fire academies.
Organization and administration
The college president from 2003-2016 was Dr. Steven M. Kinsella. Kathleen A. Rose, Ed.D, was named Superintendent / President in June 2016. In 2017 the method of election for district trustees was changed from "at-large" to "by trustee area" representation. There are 7 Trustee Areas.
Gavilan College offers Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees, and certificates in a variety of career fields. Popular programs of study include Liberal Arts, Nursing, Administration of Justice, Computer Science, Theatre Arts,Digital Media, Child Development, Cosmetology, Biological Sciences, Communications and Business. Gavilan College is also the only community college in northern California offering degree and certificate programs in Aviation Maintenance Technology.
Gavilan College hosts an early college high school, Dr. TJ Owens Gilroy Early College Academy (GECA), established in 2007. GECA students are able to complete two years of college in their four years of high school by taking advanced placement and honors classes, as well as Gavilan College courses alongside Gavilan students, and can graduate with up to 60 transferable units.
Fine and performing arts opportunities include theater, children's theater, gallery art, mural art, ceramics, Folklorico dance, choir, instrumental ensemble, symphony, and vocal ensemble.
Athletics teams include men's football, baseball, basketball, and soccer, and women's basketball, softball, volleyball and beach volleyball. They are nicknamed the Rams.
- African American: 3%
- Asian American: 7%
- Hispanic: 43%
- International: 0%
- Native American: 1%
- White: 36%
- Unknown: 9%
- Luis Alejo, Former California State Assemblyman
- Jeff Garcia, quarterback for the San Francisco 49'ers
- Frank LaCorte, baseball pitcher for the Atlanta Braves and others
- "California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office - Data Mart". Datamart.cccco.edu. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Dr. TJ Owens Gilroy Early College Academy: Home Page". Geca-gusd-ca.schoolloop.com. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Trustee TJ Owens Dies After Stroke". Gilroydispatch.com. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Explore Gavilan College". Colleges.niche.com. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Gavilan College alumni shine on election day". Gavilan College. 11 November 2010. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- Purdy, Mark (29 November 2016). "Jeff Garcia wants to coach San Jose State football - and would be a good choice for the Spartans". The Mercury News. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- Powell, Mark (24 March 2011). "Being Frank". Gilroy Dispatch. Retrieved 28 February 2017.