|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (March 2014)|
Gavin Andresen (born Gavin Bell) is the Amherst, Massachusetts-based chief scientist at the Bitcoin Foundation. He has access to the alert key that allows him to broadcast messages about critical network problems to all clients.
After graduating from Princeton University in 1988, Andresen began his career working on 3D graphics software at Silicon Graphics Computer Systems. In 1996, he co-authored the VRML 2.0 specification, and later published a reference manual.
Since leaving Silicon Valley in 1996, Andresen has tackled a wide variety of software-related ventures, including CTO of an early voice-over-the-Internet startup and co-founder of a company that made multiplayer online games for blind people and their sighted friends.
In April 2011, Forbes quoted Andresen as saying, "Bitcoin is designed to bring us back to a decentralized currency of the people," and "this is like better gold than gold."
Andresen also created ClearCoin, an escrow-type of service, which was closed c. June 23, 2011.
- Simonite, Tom (15 August 2014). "The Man Who Really Built Bitcoin". MIT Technology Review (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "About: Board Members". Bitcoin Foundation. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Crypto Currency". Forbes. 2011-04-20. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Alerts - Bitcoin". En.bitcoin.it. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "The Future of Payments - Panelists - Bitcoin 2013: The Future of PaymentsMay 17-19, 2013 - San Jose, CA". Bitcoin 2013. 2011-04-16. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "VRML 2.0".
- "The Annotated VRML 2.0 Reference Manual".
- "Gavin Andresen Steps Down".
- "ClearCoin - Bitcoin". En.bitcoin.it. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Bitcoin Foundation: Transperency: Board Members". Bitcoin Foundation. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments - Panelists - Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments May 17-19, 2013 - San Jose, CA". Bitcoin Foundation. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Gavin Andresen interviewed on the TV show Triangulation on the TWiT.tv network 15 May 2013, duration: 60 min.
- Can Bitcoin Go Mainstream? Voices of the Next Generation with Gavin Andresen of Bitcoin, Council of Foreign Relations, February 6, 2014