Gavin Edwards (writer)
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Subject||Music, pop culture|
Gavin Edwards is an American journalist and non-fiction writer. He is the author of eleven books, including the biographies Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind and The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing. Edwards has written for Rolling Stone, The New York Times, and Wired, among other publications.
Focused primarily on music, Edwards began working as a contributing editor and associate editor at Details in 1991. In 1999, he began writing for Rolling Stone, where, as a contributing editor, he has written 12 cover stories.
Edwards published his first book of misheard lyrics in 1995. Titled 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy, it was published by Touchstone Books. Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums, which Edwards wrote with Travis Barker, was released in October 2015.
Edwards' 2016 book, The Tao of Bill Murray, consisted of a brief biography of Bill Murray, a 106-page filmography of 59 films, and a breakdown of the "10 Principals of Bill," a "kind of existentialist/Zen mashup that preaches a heightened awareness of the present."
- The World According to Tom Hanks: The Life, the Obsessions, the Good Deeds of America's Most Decent Guy; Grand Central Publishing; October 2018; ISBN 978-1538712207
- The Beautiful Book of Exquisite Corpses: A Creative Game of Limitless Possibilities; Penguin Books, August 2018 ISBN 978-0143132486
- The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing; Random House; September 2016. ISBN 9780812998702
- Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums Drums Drums (by Travis Barker with Gavin Edwards); HarperCollins; October 2015
- Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind; It Books; October 2013
- VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV's First Wave (with Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, Martha Quinn); Atria Books; May 2013
- Is Tiny Dancer Really Elton's Little John?: Music's Most Enduring Mysteries, Myths, and Rumors Revealed; Three Rivers Press; August 2006
- Deck the Halls with Buddy Holly: And Other Misheard Christmas Lyrics; HarperPerennial; October 1998
- When a Man Loves a Walnut: And Even More Misheard Lyrics; Fireside; November 1997
- He's Got the Whole World in his Pants: And More Misheard Lyrics; Fireside; November 1996
- 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy: And Other Misheard Lyrics; Fireside; April 1995
- Jupp, Emily (November 27, 2013). "Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind, By Gavin Edwards: Book review". The Independent. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- Lopez, Korina (October 22, 2013). "About 'Last Night,' the story of River Phoenix". USA Today. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- "Best Sellers (Hardcover Nonfiction)". New York Times. May 26, 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Garner, Eric (August 27, 2009). Garner's Modern American Usage. Oxford University Press. p. 546. ISBN 0195382757.
The leading books on the subject are by Gavin Edwards.
- "WEDDINGS; Jennifer Sudul, Gavin Edwards". New York Times. May 26, 2002. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- Edwards, Gavin. "Archives". Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Martin, Rachel (October 27, 2013). "Author Interviews: Gavin Edwards". National Public Radio. NPR. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- Picks and Pans staff (May 22, 1995). "Picks and Pans Review: 'scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy and Other Misheard Lyrics". People Magazine. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Sternbergh, Adam (July 20, 2012). "Canceled Berets, Cross-Eyed Bears and Other Enduring Mondegreens". New York Times. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- Us Weekly Staff (October 16, 2015). "Travis Barker Details Harrowing Plane Crash in New Book". Us. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Teetor, Paul (August 29, 2016). "10 Ways to Live Life Like Bill Murray". Los Angeles Weekly. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "The Tao of Bill Murray". Kirkus Reviews. July 19, 2016. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Washburn, Mark (May 24, 2015). "Curator as Dynamo". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved 5 October 2015.