|Main interests||Religious studies, tantra, comparative religion, Hinduism|
|Notable works||Introduction to Hinduism (Cambridge University Press 1996), Beyond Phenomenology: Rethinking the Study of religion. (Cassell 1999)|
Gavin Dennis Flood (born 1954) FBA is a British scholar of comparative religion specialising in Shaivism and phenomenology, but with research interests that span South Asian traditions. From October 2005 through December 2015 he served in the Faculty of Theology University of Oxford and as the Academic Director of the Oxford Centre for Hindu Studies which is a Recognised Independent Centre of the University of Oxford. In 2008 Flood was granted the title of Professor of Hindu Studies and Comparative Religion from the University of Oxford. In 2014 he was elected a Fellow of the British Academy, the United Kingdom's national academy for the humanities and social sciences. In November 2015, it was announced that Dr. Flood would become the inaugural Yap Kim Hao Professor of Comparative Religious Studies at Yale-NUS College in Singapore; taking up the position from January 2016.
Flood's publications include; An Introduction to Hinduism, Body and Cosmology in Kashmir Saivism and Beyond Phenomenology: Rethinking the Study of Religion. He is also the editor of The Blackwell Companion to Hinduism.
- The Truth Within: A History of Inwardness in Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism. Oxford: OUP. 2013. ISBN 978-0-19-968456-4.
- The Bhagavad Gita: A New Translation. W. W. Norton & Company. 2013. ISBN 978-0-393-34513-1.
- The Importance of Religion: Meaning and Action in Our Strange World. John Wiley & Sons. 2012. ISBN 978-1-4051-8972-9.
- The Tantric Body: The Secret Tradition of Hindu Religion. I.B.Tauris. 2006. ISBN 978-1-84511-012-3.
- The Ascetic Self: Subjectivity, Memory and Tradition. Cambridge University Press. 2004. ISBN 978-0-521-60401-7.
- Beyond Phenomenology: Rethinking the Study of Religion. A&C Black. 1999. ISBN 978-0-304-70570-2.
- An Introduction to Hinduism. Cambridge University Press. 1996. ISBN 978-0-521-43878-0.
- The Blackwell Companion to Hinduism. John Wiley & Sons. 2008. ISBN 978-0-470-99868-7. (Editor)
- "Hinduism". Rites of Passage. A&C Black. 1994. ISBN 978-0-567-31072-9.
References and notes
- Flood, G. (2003). "The Sacred and the Profane: Contemporary Demands On Hermeneutics". Literature and Theology. 17 (4): 478–479. doi:10.1093/litthe/17.4.478. Retrieved 2008-05-15.
- "SpringerLink - Journal Article". www.springerlink.com. Retrieved 2008-05-15.
- "University of Oxford, Faculty of Theology and Religion". theology.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-08-16. (A Recognised Independent Centre is an institution that is not part of the University, but works with the University in research and teaching.)
- "British Academy announces 42 new fellows". Times Higher Education. 18 July 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "Yale-NUS College Welcomes Two Distinguished Scholars as Named Professors". 11 November 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "University of Oxford, Faculty of Theology and Religion". theology.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-08-16.