Lee in 2005
15 October 1971
Woodbridge, Suffolk, England
|Occupation||Stage actor, singer and dancer|
|Spouse(s)||Emily Harvey (2005—present)|
Lee is an alumnus of the Doreen Bird College of Performing Arts after which he has been involved in various musicals as a performer and choreographer.
In 2004, Lee auditioned to be the Bert understudy in the London production of Mary Poppins, but managed to win the role outright. He originated the role of Bert in the original West End production. He also starred as Bert in the Broadway production of Mary Poppins. He was chosen for the Broadway role because of his critically acclaimed performance as Bert in the West End production. He departed the Broadway production after nearly two years to launch the US National Tour, but returned to the Broadway production in August 2010 until January 2013. Lee was nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Musical at the 2005 Olivier Awards and the 2005 Theatregoer's Choice Awards for originating the West End role of Bert. For his Broadway performance, Lee was nominated for the 2006 Outer Critics Circle Awards (Outstanding Actor in a Musical) and the 2007 Tony Award for Best Leading Actor in a Musical. He also won the 2007 Drama Desk Award for Featured Actor in a Musical and an award for Outstanding Broadway Debut at the 63rd annual Theatre World Awards. In August 2007, Lee was added to Sardi's caricature gallery with other Broadway actors.
Lee and former London co-star Laura Michelle Kelly performed as Bert and Mary Poppins in the America Celebrates 4 July at Fords Theatre in front of President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama on 6 June 2010. The special aired on 2 July 2010 on ABC. Lee again reunited with Kelly when he returned to the role of Bert in the Broadway production of Mary Poppins on 24 August 2010.
It was announced on 19 February 2016 that Lee would play Squidward Tentacles in The SpongeBob Musical. The stage musical premiered at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago, Illinois, and ran from June to July 2016. Another announcement on 5 June 2017 confirmed that Lee would reprise his role as Squidward for the Broadway run of the musical, starting with November 2017 previews at the Palace Theatre.
Lee is married to Emily Harvey, an American actress who was playing the role of Mme Firmin in London's The Phantom of the Opera during his own run in London in Mary Poppins.
|2017–2018||SpongeBob SquarePants||Squidward Tentacles||Palace Theatre||Broadway production; originated role|
|2016||Oriental Theatre||Originated role|
|2015||Les Misérables||Thénardier||Imperial Theatre||Replacement|
|2013||Top Hat||Jerry Travers||Aldwych Theatre||Replacement|
|2010–2013||Mary Poppins||Bert||New Amsterdam Theatre||Return to role|
|2009–2010||US National Tour||Originated role|
|2006–2008||New Amsterdam Theatre||Broadway production; originated role|
|2004–2006||Bristol Hippodrome & Prince Edward Theatre||West End production; originated role|
|2002||Let's Kick Arts||Ensemble||Bridewell Theatre|
|2001||Zip Goes a Million||Percy Piggott||The Theatre Museum|
|2001||DuBarry Was a Lady||Harry/Captain of the Guard||Her Majesty's Theatre|
|2001||Peggy Sue Got Married||Richard||Shaftesbury Theatre||Originated role|
|1999||A Saint She Ain't||Danny O'Reilly||Apollo Theatre & King's Head Theatre||Originated role|
|1999||Of Thee I Sing||J.P. Wintergeen||Bridewell Theatre|
|1999||Jubilee!||Richard||Her Majesty's Theatre||Also choreographer|
|1998||Singin' in the Rain||Don Lockwood||Haymarket Theatre|
|1998||Oklahoma!||Slim||National Theatre||Originated role|
|1997||Crazy for You||Bobby Child||Prince Edward Theatre||Also choreographer|
- "Broadway hit 'Contact' at Queens in Oct 02" londontheatre.co.uk, accessed 13 March 2016
- Gans, Andrew (21 May 2008). "Lee Will Join Brown for National Tour of Mary Poppins". Playbill. Retrieved 22 May 2008.
- McBride, Walter (31 August 2007). "Brown & Lee Reveal Sardi's Caricatures.". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 1 September 2007.
- Gans, Andrew (7 May 2008). "Principal Casting Complete for Carnegie Hall Show Boat". Playbill. Retrieved 22 May 2008.
- "Glover, Kelly, Van Dyke et al. Featured in July 4 Celebration to Air 7/2" broadwayworld.com, 2 July 2010
- "Gavin Lee Will Return to Broadway Cast of 'Mary Poppins'" Playbill
- Gavin Lee Set to Join West End's TOP Hat, Feb 5 broadwayworld.com, Retrieved 3 March 2013
- "Breaking News: LES MISERABLES Announces New Leads for Second Year on Broadway; Plus Tony Nominee Ramin Karimloo Extends!" broadwayworld.com, Retrieved 31 January 2015
- Rickwald, Bethany. "Gavin Lee, Nick Blaemire, and More Join 'The SpongeBob Musica'l Cast" theatermania.com, February 19, 2016
- Barone, Joshua (5 June 2017). "SpongeBob SquarePants Musical to Open on Broadway". The New York Times.