|Member of Parliament|
for Paisley and Renfrewshire North
Assumed office |
8 May 2015
|Preceded by||Jim Sheridan|
2 February 1980|
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
|Alma mater||James Watt College|
Gavin Andrew Stuart Newlands MP (born 2 February 1980) is a Scottish National Party politician. He is the Member of Parliament (MP) for Paisley and Renfrewshire North, who has served since the 2015 general election.
Newlands was born in the old Paisley Maternity Hospital in 1980 and raised in the town of Renfrew, where he currently resides with wife, Lynn and their two children. He was educated at Renfrew's St James' Primary and Trinity High School. While enrolled at James Watt College, Newlands was offered a promotion in his part-time job, and dropped out of college.
Newlands has been a member of the SNP for 25 years. He joined the youth wing of the party in 1992, getting involved during the campaigns against the poll tax. He became a local community council councillor for Renfrew in 2011 and has supported local causes, including a West of Scotland foodbank. Newlands was a member of Paisley Rugby Club for 16 years, serving as club captain for three years.
Newlands was selected to stand for election for the Scottish National Party (SNP) in January 2015 after securing the support of local party members following an internal selection process. He was elected to the House of Commons at the 2015 Westminster election when he overturned the incumbent Labour MP's 15,280 majority and emerged with a majority of 9,076 votes for himself - representing a 26.47% swing to Newlands and the SNP.
He is currently the Westminster SNP Spokesperson on Sport, Wales, and Northern Ireland, as well as being Chair of the White Ribbon All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Male Violence Against Women and is Chair of the APPG on Scottish Sport.
The constituency office for Gavin Newlands is in Porterfield Road, in Renfrew.
- "List of Members returned to Parliament at the General Election 2015 Scotland". The Edinburgh Gazette. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- Gavin Newlands SNP wins Paisley and Renfrewshire North seat, bbc.co.uk; accessed 1 June 2015.
- Newlands, Gavin. "About Gavin". Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Paisley SNP hopeful joins race for Westminster". Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette. 19 February 2015. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Express, The (8 May 2015). "Paisley and Renfrewshire North". Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Gavin Newlands - UK Parliament". beta.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- Commons, The Committee Office, House of. "House of Commons - Register Of All-Party Parliamentary Groups as at 6 January 2017: White Ribbon Campaign UK". publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- Commons, The Committee Office, House of. "House of Commons - Register Of All-Party Parliamentary Groups as at 3 June 2016: Scottish Sport". publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Paisley and Renfrewshire North
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for a Scottish constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2015 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2017 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|