Gavin Edmund Pretor-Pinney is a British author, known for his books The Cloudspotter's Guide and The Wavewatcher's Companion.
Early life and education
Pretor-Pinney is son of Anthony Robert Edmund Pretor-Pinney and Laura Uppercu, daughter of George Winthrop Haight, of Manhattan, observer for the American Bar Association and a specialist in international law. The Pretor-Pinney family were landowners at Somerton, Somerset since the 1800s, descendants of the sugar merchant and Mayor of Bristol Charles Pinney; Anthony Pretor-Pinney had Somerton Erleigh, named for the family's former house on a different part of the estate, built in 1972–3.
Awards and honours
- The Cloudspotter's Guide (2006)
- The Cloud Collector's Handbook (2006)
- A Pig with Six Legs and Other Clouds (2007)
- The Wavewatcher's Companion (2010)
- The Ukulele Handbook (September 2013; co-written with Tom Hodgkinson)
- A Cloud A Day (2019)
- "The Cloudspotter's Guide". Conville and Walsh.
- "George W. Haight". The New York Times. 14 August 1983.
- "Somerton Erleigh, Somerton - 1406542 | Historic England".
- A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, seventh edition, vol. II, Sir Bernard Burke, Harrison and Sons, 1886, p. 1467
- "The joy of cloudspotting: 10 incredible visions in clouds". TED Blog. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- "Expert in idleness is surprise winner of science book prize", The Independent, 18 November 2011
- "The Wavewatcher's Companion".
- "Daily Telegraph review". The Daily Telegraph. London. 13 June 2010.
- "Cloudspotting". BBC.
- "The Secret Life of Waves". BBC.