|Born||30 September 1938|
|Alma mater||Brunel University |
University of Birmingham
|Known for||a pioneer in the field of human factors and ergonomics|
the first one in this field elected to the National Academy of Engineering
|Institutions||Purdue University (professor emeritus)|
Tsinghua University (Chair Professor Emeritus and Former Head (2001-2011) of the Department of Industrial Engineering )
University of Central Florida (Distinguished Professor)
Gavriel Salvendy (born September 30, 1938) is a pioneer in the field of human factors and ergonomics. He is the first one in his field elected to the National Academy of Engineering (NAE) and being the recipient of the John Fritz Medal which is the engineering profession's highest award. He is Professor Emeritus of Industrial Engineering at Purdue University, Chair Professor and former Head of Industrial Engineering at Tsinghua University---- first foreign scientist to head a university department in China since 1949, and Distinguished University Professor at the University of Central Florida. He is the editor of the four editions of the Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics and the three editions of the Handbook of Industrial Engineering.
- "Dr. Gavriel Salvendy".
- "John Fritz Medal Past Recipients". 2015-03-29.
- "School of Industrial Engineering - Purdue University".
- Jeffrey Mervis (2001). First Western Chair Named at Qinghua. Science, 294(5543), 765.
- "Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics, 4th Edition".
- Handbook of Industrial Engineering. 2001. doi:10.1002/9780470172339. ISBN 9780470172339.