Kachalin as manager of Dinamo Tbilisi in 1972
|Full name||Gavriil Dmitriyevich Kachalin|
|Date of birth||17 January 1911|
|Place of birth||Moscow, Russian Empire|
|Date of death||23 May 1995(aged 84)|
|Place of death||Moscow, Russia|
|1945–1948||Trudovye Rezervy Moscow|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
He led the USSR national football team to their greatest achievements, Olympics gold medals in 1956 and European Football Championship title in 1960, and also coached them in three World Cups: 1958, 1962 and 1970.
With Kachalin, FC Dinamo Tbilisi won the first Soviet Top League title in their history in 1964 and later finished 3rd twice, in 1971 and in 1972. Kachalin became 3rd again in 1973 with FC Dynamo Moscow.
Kachalin started his career in 1928 in the club called Volny Trud. Then he played for Homel city football team and FC Dynamo Homel. From 1936 to 1942 he competed for FC Dynamo Moscow. During his career he played in 36 Soviet Top League matches, and became a twice champion in 1937 and 1940 and a Soviet Cup winner in 1937 with Dynamo Moscow. He also played against Basque Country football team.
Gavriil Kachalin was a head coach of following club and national teams:
- FC Trudovye Rezervy Moscow (1945–1948)
- FC Lokomotiv Moscow (1949–1952)
- USSR national football team as a head coach assistant (1954)
- USSR national football team (1955–1958, 1960–1962, 1968–1970)
- FC Pakhtakor Tashkent (1963, 1975)
- FC Dinamo Tbilisi (1964–1965, 1971–1972)
- USSR national under-21 football team (1965)
- USSR national olympics football team (1966–1968)
- FC Dynamo Moscow (1973–1974)
At the end of his career, Kachalin worked in Dynamo Moscow youth academy. He was a chairman of the Board of Coaches of Soviet Football Federation in 1963. Kachalin also was a member of FIFA technical committee.
- Honorary master of sports of USSR
- Honorary coach of USSR
- 1956 Summer Olympics gold medals
- 1960 European Football Championship title
- Soviet Top League champion as a player: 1937, 1940
- Soviet Cup winner as a player: 1937
- Soviet Top League champion as a coach: 1964
- Soviet Top League 3rd place as a coach: 1971, 1972, 1973
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gavriil Kachalin.|
- "Пять лет назад не стало великого тренера". sovsport.ru. 24 May 2000. Retrieved 29 December 2007.
- Сборная России по футболу. Качалин Гавриил Дмитриевич Archived 14 July 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Rusteam.permian.ru. Retrieved on 20 October 2016.