Gawber is an area of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England. The area falls within the Darton West ward of the Barnsley MBC. There is a Primary School, Gawber Primary School, a Pre-School, Gawber Pre-School, and a church, St Thomas.
In A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Gawber is noted for its collieries. The North Gawber Colliery which closed in 1988 was located to the north in Mapplewell and the East Gawber Hall Colliery, of which the buried remains of the colliery fanhouse are a scheduled monument, was to the north-east of Gawber.
- Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 110 Sheffield & Huddersfield (Glossop & Holmfirth) (Map). Ordnance Survey. 2012. ISBN 9780319231876.
- "Ordnance Survey: 1:50,000 Scale Gazetteer" (csv (download)). www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk. Ordnance Survey. 1 January 2016. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Gawber Primary School Department for Education, Retrieved 25 January 2017
- "About Gawber Pre-school". Gawber Pre-School. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "St Thomas, Gawber". A Church Near You. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Mills, A.D. (2011) [first published 1991]. A Dictionary of British Place Names (First edition revised 2011 ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 202. ISBN 9780199609086.
- Samuel Lewis, ed. (1848). "Barton, St Michael - Basing". A Topographical Dictionary of England. London: S Lewis. pp. 164&ndash, 168. Retrieved 25 January 2017 – via British History Online.
- "Green light given Harworth's North Gawber development". Harworth Group. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Historic England. "East Gawber Hall colliery fanhouse, 800m north east of Croft Farm (1017748)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
Media related to Gawber at Wikimedia Commons
- "History of Gawber, in Barnsley and West Riding". A Vision of Britain through Time. GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
|This South Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|