Gay.com as of August 2012.
Type of site
|Personals, Chat, News, Social Networking for gay men.|
|Available in||English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.|
|Owner||VS Media Inc.|
|Created by||PlanetOut Inc.|
|Revenue||Advertising; membership fee for premium accounts.|
|Slogan(s)||Encounter. Experience. Enjoy.|
|Alexa rank||196,188 (June 2017[update])|
|Launched||May 1997 (re-launched October 2008)|
Gay.com is a chat, personals, and social networking website catering to the LGBT community. The site is a digital brand of Here Media Inc. In addition to community features, the site features LGBT-related news and features. As of September 2005, San Jose Mercury News ranked gay.com as the most popular online gay personals site in the United States. As of March 2007, Hitwise ranked it number three in domestic American popularity after Adam4Adam and Manhunt. Gay.com also competes internationally with dudesnude, gayromeo, and gaydar.
Gay.com was founded by Mark Elderkin in 1994 and launched with a Java-based chat system in 1996. Gay.com's parent company acquired PlanetOut in 2001. In October 2008 the company relaunched gay.com., updating the visual style of the site and replacing the former Java-based chat system. Technical problems caused by the upgrade led to service interruptions and lags. In an open letter from PlanetOut management, "hardware configurations and software code" were cited as culprits. Many users asked the service to revert to its former system. The formerly solid user base has eroded since the relaunch.
- "Gay.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Dallas executive amassing a gay media mini-empire". Dallas News. 2009-10-25. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- San Jose Mercury News (September 11, 2005) "Busiest online matchmakers." Section: AE
- Lifestyle - Gay and Lesbian Category: Weekly Market Share of Visits Rankings for the week ending March 17, 2007 Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Aceves, Raquel (2008-09-29). "GAY.COM Homepages – A Look Back". Gay.com. Archived from the original on October 2, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- "Gay.com parent company loses $51m". PinkNews.co.uk. 4 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- "PlanetOut Reports Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year 2007 Results". Trading Markets via PlanetOut Inc. 29 February 2008. Archived from the original on 4 February 2013. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- "Behind the Website: The gay.com Blog: An Open Letter to gay.com Subscribers, Members and Guests". Archived from the original on October 13, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
|Wikinews has related news: Major merger among American LGBT media outlets announced|
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender topics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a social networking service is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
- "gaycomblog". Potent Links Blog. Retrieved 30 October 2014.