|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
L. Gayle Blevins (born c. 1953) is a former college softball coach. She was the head coach at Indiana University from 1980 to 1987 and at the University of Iowa from 1988 to 2010. WIth 1,245 win in 31 years as a head coach, Blevins ranks second all-time in NCAA Division I softball coaching victories.
Blevins was the head softball coach at Indiana University from 1980 to 1987. She led the Hoosiers to Big Ten Conference softball titles in 1980, 1983 and 1986. She had two 45-win seasons in 1982 and 1986 and a 47-win season in 1984. In 1986, she was named NCAA Division I Coach of the Year by the National Softball Coaches Association after her Indiana Hoosiers team finished in third place in the Women's College World Series. In eight years as the head coach at Indiana, Blevins compiled a record of 300 wins, 146 losses and 2 ties for a .672 winning percentage.
University of Iowa
In July 1987, Blevins accepted the head coaching job at the University of Iowa. She was the head softball coach at Iowa for 23 years from 1988 to 2010. Blevins won 40 or more games in 13 of her 23 years at Iowa, including a career-high 53 wins in 1991, 52 wins in 1997 and 50 wins in 2005. She also led the Hawkeyes to 16 NCAA tournaments, four Women's College World Series appearances, five Big Ten regular season championships, and two Big Ten Tournament titles.
Coaching records and Halls of Fame
Blevins announced her retirement in June 2010. In 31 years as a head coach, Blevins compiled a record of 1,245 wins, 588 losses and 5 ties. At the time of her retirement, Blevins was the second-winningest softball coach in NCAA Division I history. She never had a losing season at Iowa or Indiana.
Blevins was inducted into the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 1999, and the Indiana University Hall of Fame in 2005.
- National Fastpitch Coaches Association Hall of Fame
- List of college softball coaches with 800 career wins
- "Iowa softball coach Gayle Blevins to retire". Press-Citizen (Iowa City). 2010-06-18.
- "NCAA Career Statistics". NCAA. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- "Iowa Signs Blevins To Coach Softball Iowa Track Nets Three Top Recruits". Omaha World-Herald. 1987-07-14. p. 1.
- "Iowa softball coach Gayle Blevins announces retirement". Des Moines Register. 2010-06-20.
- "Longtime Iowa softball coach retires". Quad City Times. 2010-06-17.
- "Blevins retires with 1,245 wins". espn.com (Associated Press story). 2010-06-17.
- "Iowa coach Gayle Blevins retires after 31 seasons". The Washington Post. 2010-06-17.[dead link]
- "Hall Of Fame Softball Coach Gayle Blevins To Retire: Legendary coach owns the second most wins in NCAA Division I softball history". University of Iowa. 2010-06-17.
- "Gayle Blevins profile". NFCA. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- "Hall of Fame - 2005 Inductees". Indiana University. Retrieved 2010-06-24.