Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
|Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center|
|Location||National Harbor, Maryland, U.S.|
|Owner||Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc.|
|Design and construction|
|Number of rooms||2000|
|Number of suites||110|
|Number of restaurants||4|
The Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center is a large hotel and convention center located in National Harbor, in the U.S. state of Maryland. It is owned by Gaylord Hotels, a division of Ryman Hospitality Properties (formerly known as Gaylord Entertainment Company), and operated by Marriott International. The hotel, located in the Oxon Hill community in Prince George's County, Maryland, opened April 1, 2008, serving as the anchor of a new mixed-use (office, residential, and retail) development in National Harbor. It is the largest non-gaming hotel and convention center on the East Coast of the United States. It cost $870 million to build.
The hotel is situated along the shores of the Potomac River, downriver from Washington, D.C., and across the river from Alexandria, Virginia. The center was originally named the "Gaylord Potomac Resort & Convention Center"; the name was changed in the planning stage.
The hotel contains 2,000 guest rooms, 478,000 square feet (44,400 m2) of meeting space, seven restaurants, and a 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) spa. It employs 2,000 people. It features a 19-story glass atrium with views of the Potomac River.
It had over 1.3 million room nights booked before its grand opening on April 1, 2008. Other adjacent hotels and facilities are currently being constructed.
The convention center hosted the 2011 Republican National Committee Winter Meeting, at which the 2011 Republican National Committee chairmanship election took place. It also hosts Katsucon, a celebration of Japanese Anime. The Gaylord has also hosted MAGFest, a yearly festival celebrating video games, their music, and culture, since 2012. The annual Scripps National Spelling Bee has been held at the Gaylord since 2011. In 2014, the Gaylord hosted the 36th annual Technology Student Association National Conference.
Gaylord National Convention Center hallway view toward the Potomac River
- Gaylord Entertainment FactSheet PDF
- Site and building plans (2006). National Harbor. Retrieved on July 22, 2007. Archived October 28, 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Mixed use communities: National Harbor, Prince George's County, MD (2006). The Peterson Companies. Retrieved on July 22, 2007.
- Facts Sheet PDF Retrieved on March 14, 2008
- High Hopes at Hotel's Grand Opening
- Gaylord National Resort Set to Open WJLA. Retrieved on March 14, 2008
- RNC bounces Steele, taps Wisconsin GOP leader as new chairman
- MAGFest X Roundup, Part One</r A Fond Look Back at MAGFest 11
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center.|