The village sign
|Gayton shown within Norfolk|
|Area||22.84 km2 (8.82 sq mi)|
|Population||1,432 (2011 census)|
|• Density||63/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||109 miles (175 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||KING'S LYNN|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
It is 7.3 miles east of the town of King's Lynn, and 10.1 miles north-west of the town of Swaffham. The Gaywood River has its source just north of the village at Derby Fen. The village sides astride of the B1145 Kings Lynn to Mundesley road that dissects North Norfolk west to east.
The village has a primary school, which was a first school but in March 2011 gained full primary status. The school will grow to possess the full primary age range by September 2013.
The church in Gayton is St Nicholas' Church. In September 2013, James Meade, son of equestrian champion Richard Meade, and Lady Laura Marsham, daughter of Julian Charles Marsham, 8th Earl of Romney, got married in this church. Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Prince Harry and Pippa Middleton were in attendance at the wedding.
There is one pub in the village, The Crown. The village also has two butcher's shops, a child care/daycare centre, a hair salon, a fish and chip shop and petrol station combining convenience shop/post office. The village has a windmill and is twinned with nearby Middleton.
Gayton is a parish of the Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district council, which is responsible for the most local services, but for Westminster elections it forms part of the North West Norfolk constituency, represented by Henry Bellingham (Conservative). Norfolk County Council is responsible for roads, some schools, and social services, and the county councillor for Gayton is Richard Toby Coke (UKIP). An electoral ward in the same name exists. The population of this ward at the 2011 Census was 2,240.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- County A to Z Atlas, Street & Road maps Norfolk, ISBN 978-1-84348-614-5
- * (http://www.ggmbenefice.uk The web site for St Nicholas Church, Gayton) Gayton: St Nicholas, Gayton
- Anna Edwards, Back to being a mother! Pippa Middleton joins Princes William and Harry at society wedding... but Kate and Prince George are nowhere to be seen, The Daily Mail, September 14, 2013
- "Gayton Hall". National Gardens Scheme.
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 27 August 2015.
Media related to Gayton, Norfolk at Wikimedia Commons