Gazette and Herald
|Format||Originally broadsheet, now tabloid|
|Owner(s)||Newsquest Media Group|
|Headquarters||Old Town, Swindon, England|
The Gazette and Herald is a local weekly paid-for newspaper, established in 1816. Published every Thursday. It serves the areas and communities of Devizes, Calne, Chippenham, Wootton Bassett, Swindon, Marlborough, Malmesbury, Corsham, Box and other areas in North Wiltshire, England.
Originally the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette, the paper expanded and took over many smaller titles. Historical copies of the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette, dating back to 1822, are available to search and view in digitised form at The British Newspaper Archive.
It was purchased by the Swindon Press group and merged with other North Wiltshire papers owned by the group including the North Wilts Herald in 1920-22. Its head offices moved to those of the Swindon Advertiser in Swindon.
In 1956 the paper became the Gazette and Herald and is now published in 3 editions, each covering a different area of the region.
- About Us gazetteandherald.co.uk accessed 11 December 2006
- Digitised copies of the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette
- Large, Frederick (1970). A Swindon Retrospect 1855-1930 (Fourth ed.). United Kingdom: S.R. Publishers. ISBN 0-85409-592-6.
- Mark Child (2002). Swindon : An Illustrated History. United Kingdom: Breedon Books Publishing. ISBN 1-85983-322-5.
- gazetteandherald.co.uk - Homepage