Location of Gbudwe State in South Sudan
|Number of Counties||13|
|• Governor||Patrick Raphael|
Gbudwe State is one of the 28 states of South Sudan created on 2 October 2015. It is located in the Equatoria region and it is part of the former state of Western Equatoria. Gbudwe borders the states of Maridi, Tonj, Wau, and Western Lakes, and also the countries of Central African Republic and Democratic Republic of the Congo. The state had a population of 364,272 in 2008.
Before the creation of the state, Gbudwe State was part of Western Equatoria. On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states.
Gbudwe State is located in the Equatoria region and the state borders the states of Wau State to the north, Tonj State to the northeast, the country of Democratic Republic of the Congo to the south, Maridi State to the southeast, the country of Central African Republic to the west, and Western Lakes State to the east.
After the original states split up, the state broke even further down into 13 counties. These counties are Mopoi County, Ri-Yubu County, Naandi County, Bangazagino County, Basukangbi County, Sakure County, Bangasu County, Nzara County, Ezo County, Tombura County, Nagero County, and Yambio County. Also, each county receives a county commissioner.
Towns and cities
The capital of Gbudwe State is Yambio, located in Yambio County. The town had an estimated population of around 31,700 in 2011. Other towns and villages in the state include Ezo, Nzara, and Tumbura.
- "Outgoing police spokesman to be Gbudwe State police commissioner". Radio Tamazuj. 8 March 2016. Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Gbudue Governor creates 13 new counties". Sudan Tribune. 27 April 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Western Equatoria Population". citypopulation.de. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Gbudwe State". south-sudan.biz. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-02-02.
- "Yambio Population". www.populationmondiale.com. Retrieved 27 November 2016.