Geddel Vieira Lima
|Geddel Vieira Lima|
|Secretary of Government|
25 May 2016 – 25 November 2016
|Preceded by||Ricardo Berzoini|
|Succeeded by||Antônio Imbassahy|
|Minister of National Integration|
16 March 2007 – 31 March 2010
|President||Lula da Silva|
|Preceded by||Pedro Brito|
|Succeeded by||João Santana|
18 March 1959|
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
|Political party||Brazilian Democratic Movement Party (PMDB)|
|Alma mater||University of Brasília|
Geddel Vieira Lima (born 18 March 1959) is a Brazilian politician who served in the Cabinet of Brazil under President Michel Temer until his resignation on 25 November 2016, amid accusations that he and the President had pressured Minister of Culture Marcelo Calero to approve a real estate project to build a 30-floor apartment building in a historic district of Ladeira da Barra.
Vieira Lima, who as Temer's Minister of Government acted as liaison between the executive and legislative branches, was implicated in Operation Cui Bono, an investigation into Caixa Econômica Federal, a state-owned bank of which he was vice-president in the Dilma Rousseff government. He is accused along with former lower house president Eduardo Cunha of approving loans in return for kickbacks. He had previously served as minister of national integration under president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
On 3 July 2017, he was arrested on suspicion of obstruction of justice for allegedly trying to block plea bargain deals. He was the second official from the Temer government to be arrested in less than a month. He was the fourth to resign amid corruption allegations since Temer took office August 31, 2016.
On 5th September 2017, the Federal Police of Brazil found R$51 million[note 1] in an apartment in the Graça neighbourhood of the city of Salvador - BA. The amount seems related to corruption, criminal organization and money laundering. Packs of money were found stored in large luggage bags and cardboard boxes. This is the largest sum of money in cash ever seized by law enforcement in a single operation in Brazil.
- approximately US$16.35 million at an exchange rate of 1 USD = 3.1203 BRL
- Paraguassu, Lisandra; Boadle, Anthony (25 November 2016). "Minister at center of Brazil's latest scandal quits". Reuters. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- Darlington, Shasta (25 November 2016). "Brazil: Minister Geddel Vieira Lima resigns over real estate scandal". CNN. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- Felipe Amorim; Gustavo Maia; Luciana Amoral (July 7, 2017). "Ex-ministro Geddel Vieira Lima é preso pela PF na Bahia" [Former minister Geddel Vieira Lima is arrested by PF in Bahia] (in Portuguese). UOL. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "Brazil police arrest close ally of President Temer". Al Jazeera. 4 July 2017.
- Shasta Darlington (November 25, 2016). "Brazil: Minister Geddel Vieira Lima resigns over real estate scandal". CNN. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- David Biller (September 5, 2017). "Brazil Police Just Found a $16 Million Cash Stash". Bloomberg. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- "PF vê digitais de Geddel em apartamento onde foram achados R$ 51 milhões". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-07.
|This article about a Brazilian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|