|Born||Gangtok, Sikkim, India|
|Awards||Best Performance, Los Angeles Film Festival 2013.
Best Actress, ImagineIndia 2013, Madrid.
Best Actress, 61st National Film Award.
Best Actress, 14th Annual New York Indian Film Festival.
A professional model before joining the film industry, in 2010 she made her feature film debut with Tina Ki Chaabi. Her next film, I.D., directed by Kamal KM won her best actress awards at Los Angeles Film Festival and the Madrid Film Festival. The film premiered at Busan International Film Festival and was selected for several other reputed international festivals. She starred next in Monsoon Shootout, a Hindi noir thriller by Amit Kumar, which was screened at Cannes Film Festival 2013 as part of the Midnight Screenings section, to rave reviews from several international critics. She also appeared in Anurag Kashyap’s short film That Day After Everyday which gathered over 6 million views on YouTube within weeks of release. Her next feature, Geetu Mohandas' Liar's Dice, premiered at the Mumbai Film festival in October 2013 and was screened at Sundance Film Festival and International Film Festival Rotterdam in January 2014. Geetanjali, who played the female lead won the best actress award at the 61st National Film Awards. The film was also India’s official entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 87th Academy Awards, winning several other awards at prestigious international film festivals that year.
Thapa latest release was Academy award winning director Danis Tanovic's Indian film, Tigers, along with Emraan Hashmi, where she plays a Pakistani woman. It was selected to screen in the Contemporary World Cinema Section at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival. Apart from films, she has also appeared in several iconic commercials, her most recent ones including prestigious jewelry brand Tanishq and L'Oreal with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
Her upcoming feature project is director Vikramaditya Motwane’s eagerly awaited next release.
Born and raised in Sikkim, Thapa did her schooling in Sikkim and thereafter moved to Kolkata to pursue her graduation. She was a professional model, and won the Mega Miss North East 2007 beauty pageant held at Guwahati, Assam. before entering the film industry.
Thapa’s debut short film was the English language project Myth (2006) directed by Prashant Rasaily, when she was still in school.
|2012||I.D.||Charu||Best Performance, Los Angeles Film Festival 2013
Best Actress, ImagineIndia Award 2013, Madrid
|2013||That Day After Every Day||Girl who hits the 'goon in the bus'|
|2014||Liar's Dice||Kamla||Best Actress, 61st National Film Award
Best Actress, 14th Annual New York Indian Film Festival
|2016||Tigers||Zainab||2014 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF)|
- "20th LA Film Fest Award". Archived from the original on 2014-04-25. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "ImagineIndia 13th International Film Festival Award". Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "61st National Film Awards Announced" (PDF) (Press release). Press Information Bureau (PIB), India. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "14th Annual New York Indian Film Festival". Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "I auditioned for White Lies so I could meet Danis: Geetanjali Thapa". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Liar's Dice: Mumbai Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Making a Mark". India Today. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Ankur Pathak (Sep 6, 2014). "Geetanjali Thapa: I wouldn’t want to be cast just because I’m a 'North Easterner'". The Times of India. Retrieved 2014-10-20.
- Shaheen Parkar (28 Sep 2014). "Yet to learn how things work in Bollywood: Geetanjali Thapa". MiD DAY. Retrieved 2014-10-20.
- "Geetanjali Thapa wins Mega Miss North East". Archived from the original on 2010-01-07.
- "Geetanjali Thapa on being low-key and letting her work speak". The Telegraph. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Interview: Geetanjali Thapa, Actor [I.D., Monsoon Shootout]". DearCinema.com. July 15, 2013. Archived from the original on 2014-04-21. Retrieved 2014-04-20.
- "Tigers". TIFF. Archived from the original on 2014-10-28. Retrieved 2014-10-20.