Tokyo University of the Arts
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Website||Official website in English|
Tokyo University of the Arts (東京藝術大学? Tōkyō Geijutsu Daigaku) or Geidai (芸大?) is an art school in Japan. Located in Ueno Park, it also has facilities in Toride, Ibaraki, Yokohama, Kanagawa, and Kitasenju, Adachi, Tokyo. The university owns two halls of residence: one (for both Japanese and international students) in Adachi, Tokyo, and the other (for mainly international students) in Matsudo, Chiba.
The university was formed in 1949 by the merger of the Tokyo School of Fine Arts (東京美術学校? Tōkyō Bijutsu Gakkō) and the Tokyo Music School (東京音楽学校? Tōkyō Ongaku Gakkō), both of which were founded in 1887. Originally male-only, the schools began to admit women in 1946. The graduate school opened in 1963, and began offering doctoral degrees in 1977. After the National University Corporations were formed on April 1, 2004, the school became known as the Kokuritsu Daigaku Hōjin Tōkyō Geijutsu Daigaku ((国立大学法人東京藝術大学?). On April 1, 2008, the university changed its English name from "Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music" to "Tokyo University of the Arts."
The school has had student exchanges with a number of other art and music institutions such as the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (USA), the Royal Academy of Music (UK), the University of Sydney and Queensland College of Art, Griffith University (Australia), the Korea National University of Arts, and the China Central Academy of Fine Arts.
Department of Fine Arts
(Includes undergraduate and graduate school programs)
- Japanese Painting
- Oil Painting
- Architecture and Planning
- Aesthetics and Art History
- Inter-media Arts
Department of Music
(Includes undergraduate and graduate school programs)
- Vocal Music
- String instruments
- Wind and Percussion Instruments
- Early Music
- Traditional Japanese Music
- Musical Creativity and the Environment
Film and new media graduate school
(only for graduate student)
- Film production
- New media
- University Art Museum
- University Library
- University Orchestra
- University Opera
- Administration Office
- Art Media Center
- Center for Music Research
- Geidai Art Plaza
- Health Care Service Center
- Institute of Ancient Art Research
- Oversea Student Center
- Photography Center
- Performing Arts Center
- Senior High School of Music
- Sogakudo Concert Hall
- Training Center for Foreign Language and Diction
- Tokyo University of the Arts
12-8 Ueno Park
Taitō, Tokyo 110-8714, Japan
- Telephone: +81(0)50-5525-2013
- Yoshitoshi Abe (cartoonist / illustrator)
- Tsuguharu Foujita (oil painter / sculptor)
- Shigeo Fukuda (graphic designer)
- Kaii Higashiyama (painter)
- Ikuo Hirayama (painter)
- Shunsō Hishida (painter)
- Eiko Ishioka (designer)
- Tōichi Katō (painter)
- Gyokudo Kawai (painter)
- Kim Su-keun (architect)
- Ryōhei Koiso (oil painter)
- Yōichi Kotabe (animator)
- Seiji Kurata (photographer)
- Firoz Mahmud (contemporary Artist / painter)
- Erina Matsui (painter)
- Takashi Murakami (artist)
- Tetsuya Noda (artist)
- Kakuzō Okakura (essayist)
- Tarō Okamoto (artist)
- Carl Randall (painter)
- Lee Shih-chiao (painter)
- Kanzan Shimomura (painter)
- Yasushi Sugiyama (painter)
- Shinzaburo Takeda (printmaker / painter)
- Masao Tamiya (graphic artist)
- Tadao Tominari (photographer)
- Kōtarō Takamura (sculptor / poet)
- Hiroshi Teshigahara (film director)
- Eric Van Hove (artist)
- Yoshihiko Wada (oil painter)
- Iwao Yamawaki (photographer / architect)
- Ryumon Yasuda (painter / sculptor)
- Taikan Yokoyama (painter)
- Yukihiko Yasuda (painter)
- Yasushi Akutagawa (composer)
- Ikuma Dan (composer)
- Ichiro Fujiyama (singer / composer)
- Akiko Futaba (singer)
- Shiro Hamaguchi (composer / arranger)
- Masashi Hamauzu (composer)
- Ryohei Hirose (composer)
- Shin-ichiro Ikebe (composer)
- Hiroyuki Iwaki (conductor)
- Taku Iwasaki (composer)
- Kaoru Kakudo (violinist)
- Jo Kondo (composer)
- Hayato Matsuo (composer)
- Toshiro Mayuzumi (composer)
- Minoru Miki (composer)
- Hajime Mizoguchi (composer)
- Kōtarō Nakagawa (composer / arranger)
- Toshihiko Sahashi (composer)
- Ryuichi Sakamoto (composer)
- Kazue Sawai (koto player)
- Tadao Sawai (koto player and composer)
- Makoto Shinohara (composer)
- Masaaki Suzuki (organist / harpsichordist / conductor)
- Motoaki Takenouchi (composer)
- Rentarō Taki (composer)
- Kosaku Yamada (composer / conductor)
- Akio Yashiro (composer)
- Diramore (composer / music director)
- Kenji Ekuan (industrial designer)
- Eiji Aonuma (video game designer)
- Norio Ohga (former president of Sony / singer / conductor)
- Rin' (pop group)
- Masaki Fujihata (new media)
- Osamu Kido (sculpture)
- Atsushi Kitagawara (architecture)
- Takeshi Kitano (film)
- Ken-Ichiro Kobayashi (conducting)
- Kiyoshi Kurosawa (film)
- Toyomichi Kurita (film)
- Joun Ōshima (sculpture), noted Japanese sculptor in the Meiji/Taisho/Showa periods
- Tokihiro Satō (inter-media arts)
- Michael W. Schneider (printmaking)
- Takashi Shimizu (violin)
- Kanzan Shimomura
- Masaaki Suzuki (early music)
- Toru Takahashi (education)
- Kōun Takamura
- Kenji Watanabe (piano)
- Yoshiaki Watanabe (inter-media arts)
- Koji Yamamoto (industrial arts)
- "Unveiling Ceremony for the Geishinryo Residence Hall". Tokyo University of the Arts. Retrieved 2015-09-12.
- Steven Heller, "Shigeo Fukuda, Graphic Designer, Dies at 76", The New York Times, 2 December 2007. Accessed 2010-08-31.
- Short biography of Hishida, Iida City Museum. (Japanese) Accessed 2010-09-01.
- Kōtarō Iizawa, Tōkyō shashin (東京写真) / Tokyo Photography (Tokyo: Inax, 1995; ISBN 4-87275-059-4), p.260; Sanjūroku fotogurafāzu: Kimura Ihei Shashinshō no sanjūnen (36フォトグラファーズ：木村伊兵衛写真賞の30年) (Tokyo: Asahi Shinbun, 2005; ISBN 4-02-272303-3), p.11).
- Carl Randall Education History. www.carlrandall.com Accessed 2013-10-24.
- Biography of Shimomura, "Portraits of Modern Japanese Historical Figures", National Diet Library. Accessed 2010-09-02.
- Kazuko Sekiji (関次和子), "Tominari Tadao", in Nihon shashinka jiten (日本写真家事典) / 328 Outstanding Japanese Photographers (Kyoto: Tankōsha, 2000; ISBN 4-473-01750-8), p.223. (Japanese)
- Profile of Teshigahara at the image library of Musashino University of the Arts. (Japanese) Accessed 2010-09-03.
- Biography of Yokoyama, "Portraits of Modern Japanese Historical Figures", National Diet Library. Accessed 2010-09-02.
- Biography of Hirose, The International Shakuhachi Society. (English) Accessed 2010-09-02.
- "Japanese conductor Hiroyuki Iwaki dies at 73", USA Today, 13 June 2006. Accessed 2010-09-02.
- Biography of Kondō, University of York Press. Accessed 2010-09-02.
- Profile of Sawai, cdjournal.com. (Japanese) Accessed 2010-09-02.
- Biography of Suzuki, Bach Collegium Japan. Accessed 2010-09-02.
- Chronology of Taki, Taketa City website. (Japanese) Accessed 2010-09-03.
- "Koscak Yamada", Naxos Records. Accessed 2010-09-02.
- Biography of Yashiro, Naxos Records. Accessed 2010-09-02.
- "Kenji Ekuan, designer of the classic soy sauce dispenser, dead at age 85". Japan Times. 2015-02-09. Retrieved 2015-02-17.
- Department of Metal Casting list of early instructors Accessed 2010-12-11
- List of faculty members, Department of Inter-Media Arts. Accessed 26 November 2009. (Japanese)
- , Department of Oil Painting.
- Biography of Takamura, "Portraits of Modern Japanese Historical Figures", National Diet Library. Accessed 2010-09-02.