|• Mayor||Benoît Dispa (Bailli)|
|• Governing party/ies||Bailli, Ecolo|
|• Total||95.86 km2 (37.01 sq mi)|
|• Density||270/km2 (700/sq mi)|
On 1 January 2006 the municipality had 21,964 inhabitants. The total area is 95.86 km², yielding a population density of 229 inhabitants per km². The mayor, who was elected on 8 October 2006, is Benoît Dispa.
The central city grew around the Gembloux Abbey, founded in the tenth century. In the vicinity of the city, in 1578, the Battle of Gembloux was fought during the Eighty Years' War. In May 1940 the Battle of Hannut and the Battle of the Gembloux Gap took place nearby, tank battles during the larger Battle of France.
Gembloux is twinned with
- - Épinal, France : since 1974
- - Loughborough, United Kingdom : since 1993
- - Skyros, Greece : since 1994
- - Aller, Spain : since 2007
13th century Château de Corroy-le-Château
- "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "World Heritage List | Belfries of Belgium and France". UNESCO. Retrieved 2021-03-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gembloux.|
- Gembloux official site (in French)