Gemini (2017 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Aaron Katz|
|Written by||Aaron Katz|
|Music by||Keegan DeWitt|
|Edited by||Aaron Katz|
Gemini is a 2017 American mystery thriller film written, directed and edited by Aaron Katz. It stars Lola Kirke, Zoë Kravitz, Greta Lee, Michelle Forbes, Nelson Franklin, Reeve Carney, Jessica Parker Kennedy, James Ransone, Ricki Lake, and John Cho. The plot follows the assistant of a Hollywood actress who must clear her name after her starlet boss is found murdered in her home.
The film had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 12, 2017, and released in the United States a year later on March 30, 2018, by Neon.
Jill LeBeau is the assistant of Hollywood starlet Heather Anderson. Jill arrives at Heather's house one day to find her dead from a gunshot wound. With Detective Ahn's suspicion of Jill and her own world unraveling before her, she must solve the murder of her boss while also coming to grips with her own horrifying demons.
- Lola Kirke as Jill LeBeau
- Zoë Kravitz as Heather Anderson
- John Cho as Detective Edward Ahn
- Greta Lee as Tracy
- Ricki Lake as Vanessa
- Michelle Forbes as Jamie
- Nelson Franklin as Greg
- Reeve Carney as Devin
- Jessica Parker Kennedy as Sierra
- James Ransone as Stan
In May 2016, Lola Kirke, Zoë Kravitz, John Cho, Ricki Lake, Greta Lee, Michelle Forbes, Nelson Franklin, Reeve Carney, Jessica Parker Kennedy and James Ransone joined the cast of the film, with Aaron Katz directing from a screenplay he wrote, while Mynette Louie, Sara Murphy and Adele Romanski produced it.
The film had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 12, 2017. Shortly after, Neon acquired US distribution rights to the film. Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions will distribute the film internationally under their Stage 6 Films banner. It was released in the United States on March 30, 2018.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 77% based on 56 reviews, with an average rating of 6.6/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "A kaleidoscopic neo-noir, Gemini is a visually striking murder mystery with a convoluted but largely compelling plot and an impressive showing from Lola Kirke." On Metacritic, the film holds a weighted average score of 71 out of 100, based on 30 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Gemini (2018)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (June 9, 2016). "Lola Kirke, Zoe Kravitz, John Cho to Star in Thriller 'Gemini'". Variety. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Anello, Chloe (June 10, 2016). "Zoë Kravitz Is Starring In A New Thriller Series With John Cho And Lola Kirke". Nylon. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "Keegan DeWitt to Score Aaron Katz's 'Gemini'". Film Music Reporter. December 27, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "Gemini". South by Southwest. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Kohn, Eric (March 16, 2017). "SXSW 2017: Aaron Katz's 'Gemini' Sells to New Distributor Neon". IndieWire. Retrieved November 20, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 16, 2017). "Neon Picks Up 'Gemini' Starring Zoe Kravitz, John Cho & Lola Kirke – SXSW". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Donnelly, Matt (March 16, 2017). "Neon Acquires Buzzy SXSW Thriller 'Gemini'". TheWrap. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "Gemini (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- "Gemini Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved June 26, 2018.