Gemini PDA, held by Davide Guidi of Planet Computers
|Type||Personal digital assistant / Smartphone|
|Form factor||Wide clamshell design, with physical keyboard|
|Dimensions||171.4 mm (6.75 in) × 79.3 mm (3.12 in) × 15.1 mm (0.59 in)|
|Mass||320 g (11 oz)|
|System on chip||Mediatek MT6797X Helio X27|
|CPU||10×ARM Cortex-A: |
|GPU||Quad Core ARM Mali (GPU) T880 MP4 @875MHz|
|Memory||4 GB LPDDR3 RAM|
|Display||5.99 in (152 mm) 2160×1080, 403 dpi|
|External display||HDMI via right-hand USB port|
|Rear camera||5 MP (optional)|
|Front camera||5 MP|
The Gemini PDA is a personal digital assistant designed by Planet Computers in association with Martin Riddiford, who previously worked on the Psion Series 5 in the 1990s, and crowdfunded via Indiegogo in 2017. The Gemini bucks the trend of modern smartphones in its screen being primarily used in landscape aspect, and having a keyboard, i.e. taking on the form of a subnotebook.
Prior to January 2018, pre-production devices were made available to reviewers, and mass production was in full swing in December 2017 with devices starting to ship in late January 2018 to Indiegogo backers.
- CPU/GPU system-on-chip is a MediaTek Deca Core Helio, either the X25 or X27 chipset.
- 2x Cortex A72 @2.6GHz
- 4x Cortex A53 @2.0GHz
- 4x Cortex A53 @1.6GHz
- ARM Mali T880 MP4 @875MHz
- RAM: 4GB
- Flash: 64GB
- microSDHC card slot
- Two USB-C connectors, only one of which can be used to charge it. Video out is possible with a proprietary HDMI adaptor, and not the standardised USB-C alternate mode.
- Display: 5.99" LCD, 2160×1080 (403 ppi, 2:1 aspect ratio)
- Mass: 320g
- Dimensions (mm): 171.4(W) × 79.3(D) × 15.1(H)
- Bluetooth: 4.1
- WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- Radio bands (4G variant):
- GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- CDMA 850/1900MHz BC0 BC1+ EVDO
- UMTS 900/2100MHz
- LTE 1/2/3/4/5/7/12/17/20/41 (with VoLTE)
- MicroSIM slot and eSIM (4G variant)
- Battery: 4220mAh
- Front camera 5Mp
- GPS: with AGPS
- Sensors: Accelerometer, light sensor, gyro, magnetic sensor
- stereo speakers
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- dual microphones
Some early devices were made with the X25 SoC as specified in the Indiegogo campaign, with the factory switching to X27 as stocks of the older X25 were depleted. They also have the eSIM feature disabled.
Two variants are sold, one with just WiFi, one with the mobile phone radios.
The original Indiegogo campaign allowed backers to pay extra for various accessories/features:
- Leather pouch
- HDMI adaptor
- Rear camera 5Mp
- USB-C hub
- Orlowski, Andrew (21 February 2018). "The Gemini pocket PC is shipping and we've got one. This is what it's like". The Register. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- "The New Gemini PDA – Type and Create on the move!". www.planetcom.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Miles, Stuart (6 January 2018). "Planet Gemini PDA initial review: The Psion organiser makes a comeback of sorts". Pocket-lint. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- Munn, Edward; Minasians, Christopher. "The new Gemini PDA: Hands-on with the new PDA smartphone that runs on Android". Alphr (PC Pro). Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- Summers, Nick (26 February 2018). "I found a Gemini PDA running Sailfish OS, and it was wild". Engadget. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- Tech Specs
|This PDA-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|