This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by The Moody Blues|
|from the album Long Distance Voyager|
|Released||19 May 1981|
|Recorded||19 February 1980 – Mid-April 1981|
|Genre||New wave, rock|
|The Moody Blues singles chronology|
"Gemini Dream" is a 1981 single by the progressive rock band The Moody Blues. It reached number 12 on the US Hot 100, as well as number 1 on the Canada RPM Top 100 Singles chart. It is ranked as the 28th biggest Canadian hit of 1981.
The song was the first of three singles released from their 1981 album Long Distance Voyager, which also included "Painted Smile", another track from the album, on the B-side. Two more songs from Long Distance Voyager, "The Voice" and "Talking Out of Turn", were subsequently released as singles after the album's release.
"Gemini Dream" was written jointly by the band's lead guitarist Justin Hayward and bassist John Lodge, both of whom won an ASCAP songwriting award for it. While Hayward and Lodge had collaborated on a duet album outside of the Moody Blues in 1975 called Blue Jays, "Gemini Dream" was the first song performed by the Moody Blues that they had written together.
"Gemini Dream" was the first Moody Blues single to feature Patrick Moraz on keyboards. Moraz had replaced the original keyboardist Mike Pinder, who left the band shortly after completion of their previous album Octave for personal reasons. Moraz was hired to take Pinder's place in time for the Moody Blues' 1979 Octave World Tour. After the tour, Moraz was then retained as a permanent member of the band, and he recorded with them until 1991.
- Justin Hayward – electric guitars, lead vocals
- John Lodge – bass guitar, lead vocals
- Ray Thomas – backing vocals
- Patrick Moraz – Yamaha CS80, Minimoog, Oberheim Custom double 8-voice synthesizer
- Graeme Edge – drums, percussion
- Library and Archives Canada, September 5, 1981
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- Whitburn, Joel (1999). Pop Annual. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. ISBN 0-89820-142-X.