Gemini Man (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ang Lee|
|Music by||Lorne Balfe|
|Edited by||Tim Squyres|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Gemini Man is an upcoming American science fiction action film directed by Ang Lee and written by David Benioff, Billy Ray, and Darren Lemke. The film stars Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, and Benedict Wong and follows an aging hitman who is targeted by a younger clone of himself.
Originally conceived in 1997, the film went through development hell for nearly 20 years. Several directors, including Tony Scott, Curtis Hanson, and Joe Carnahan, were all attached at some point and numerous actors, including Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Clint Eastwood, and Sean Connery, were set to star. In 2016, Skydance Media purchased the rights to the screenplay (which had been through several rewrites) from Disney, and in October 2017, Ang Lee signed on to direct for Skydance with Paramount handling distribution rights. Filming took place from February through May 2018.
Gemini Man is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on October 11, 2019 by Paramount Pictures.
Henry Brogan, an aging government assassin seeking to exit his career, finds himself going up against a younger clone of himself named Junior, who's able to predict his every move. With no other choice, Henry must uncover the truth behind Junior's creation and save him from going down the same dark path he did, all while fighting against a corrupt system determined to "retire" him at all costs.
- Will Smith as Henry Brogan, an aging government assassin regarded as the best killer of his generation.
- Smith also portrays Junior, a young clone of Henry, and an assassin sent after Henry.
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Danny Zakarweski, a hitwoman, and ally of Henry who remains loyal to him after he is targeted for death.
- Clive Owen as Clayton "Clay" Varris, the director of the GEMINI program who creates Junior in order to "retire" Henry and take his place.
- Benedict Wong as Baron, a colleague of Henry and Danny.
- Linda Emond as Janet Lassiter
- Theodora Miranne as Kitty
- Douglas Hodge as Jack Willis
Gemini Man, based on a concept by Darren Lemke, was originally sold to be produced by Walt Disney Pictures along with Don Murphy to produce and Tony Scott to direct in 1997. Scott, Curtis Hanson, and Joe Carnahan had previously been attached to direct the film. At the time, Disney's now-defunct animation/visual effects department The Secret Lab developed a test short, known as Human Face Project, to create visual effects for the film, which would involve creating a younger CG clone of the main actor. Harrison Ford, Chris O'Donnell, Mel Gibson, Jon Voight, Nicolas Cage, Clint Eastwood, and Sean Connery were all attached to the lead role. The film never progressed at Disney, though, as the technology wasn't developed enough for the film to be produced.
Lemke's screenplay has since been rewritten by Billy Ray, Andrew Niccol, David Benioff, Brian Helgeland, Jonathan Hensleigh, and the writing team of Stephen J. Rivele & Christopher Wilkinson.
In 2016, Skydance Media acquired the film from Disney, with Jerry Bruckheimer, Skydance's David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger as producers and Murphy, Mike Stenson, Chad Oman and Brian Bell as executive producers. Ang Lee was hired to direct the film for Paramount Pictures and Skydance in April 2017.
The film is set to star Will Smith in the lead role with a release date set for October 11, 2019. In January 2018, Clive Owen and Mary Elizabeth Winstead were cast in the film, with Winstead winning the role over Tatiana Maslany. Later, in February 2018, Benedict Wong joined the cast as filming began.
Principal production commenced on February 27, 2018, in Glennville, Georgia, and includes locations in the city of Cartagena, Colombia. Filming continued in May 2018 at Széchenyi Thermal Bath in Budapest, Hungary. Like director Lee's previous film Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, the film was shot digitally at an extra-high frame rate of 120 fps, modified for 3D, this time, on modified ARRI Alexa cameras mounted on STEREOTEC 3D Rigs.
- Looper, a film with a similar premise, albeit involving time travel
- Star Trek: Nemesis, which also features a younger clone of the hero as an antagonist
- Metal Gear, a video game series with a similar premise
- "Gemini Man". Regal Cinemas. Retrieved September 18, 2019.
- "Director Ang Lee Shared Some Cool Footage From His Will Smith Sci-Fi Thriller GEMINI MAN at CinemaCon". GeekTyrant. Retrieved 2019-04-27.
- Kit, Borys (April 21, 2017). "Ang Lee in Talks to Direct Clone Assassin Movie Gemini Man". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Fischer, Russ (October 10, 2012). "Watch Joe Carnahan's Gemini Man Sizzle Reel, Which Pits Clint Eastwood Against Clint Eastwood". /Film. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Failes, Ian (September 5, 2017). "The Secret History Of Disney's 'Gemini Man' And The Quest To Make A Convincing CG Human". Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Gilyadov, alex (April 25, 2017). "Gemini Man: Will Smith, Ang Lee Circle Long-Gestating Clone Assassin Movie". IGN. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Giroux, Jack (July 7, 2017). "Ang Lee's Will Smith-Led Gemini Man Gets a 2019 Release Date". /Film. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Kaye, Don (July 9, 2017). "After 20 Years of Development, Gemini Man Gets a Release Date". SyfyWire. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Brzeski, Patrick (April 2, 2019). "China's Fosun to Co-Produce Ang Lee's 'Gemini Man' With Paramount, Skydance". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Chitwood, Adam (February 28, 2018). "Ang Lee's Gemini Man Starts Filming as Will Smith Shares First Set Photo and Video". Collider. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Hughes, William (April 22, 2019). "Ang Lee's Next Movie Might Be a Spy Thriller From Game Of Thrones David Benioff". The AV Club. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 6, 2017). "Ang Lee's Gemini Man Targets Fall 2019 Release". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Billington, Alex (February 13, 2009). "L.A. Confidential's Curtis Hanson Directing Gemini Man". FirstShowing. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Stax (November 2, 2000). "The Stax Report: Script Review of Gemini". IGN. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (April 21, 2017). "Ang Lee in Talks to Direct Clone Assassin Movie Gemini Man (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- "Are You Afraid of the Dark? & Gemini Man Swap Release Dates".
- Kroll, Justin (2018-01-12). "Clive Owen Joins Will Smith in Ang Lee's 'Gemini Man' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "Mary Elizabeth Winstead to Star Opposite Will Smith in 'Gemini Man' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- N'Duka, Amanda (2018-02-28). "Paramount's 'Gemini Man' Adds 'Doctor Strange' Actor Benedict Wong". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "Actor Will Smith filming movie near Savannah; says Georgia 'gotta do something about these bugs'". WSAV-TV. 2018-02-28. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "Otorgan permiso para película que Will Smith filmará en Cartagena". El Heraldo (in Spanish). 2018-03-16. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- "Autorizan permiso para rodaje de película de Will Smith en Cartagena". El Universal (in Spanish). 2018-03-16. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- "'Gemini Man' Trailer: How Ang Lee Is Crafting a CG Will Smith and Immersive Feel". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Pennington, Adrian (21 December 2018). "Ang Lee's High Frame Rate Gemini Man 'The Future of Cinema'". IBC. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- Desowitz, Bill (April 13, 2018). "Martin Scorsese's 'The Irishman' and Ang Lee's 'Gemini Man' - IndieWire". IndieWire. Retrieved January 1, 2019.