|Founder||S. S. Vasan|
Gemini Studios was an Indian film studio based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It was launched when film producer S. S. Vasan bought a film distribution concern at an auction and renamed it. The name was chosen because Mr. S.S. Vasan was also involved in horse racing and owned a successful race horse named Gemini. Gemini Studios served as a breeding ground for innumerable artists and technicians for the south Indian Film Industry. The Gemini twins became a household symbol and the Gemini flyover was named after the original studio at that junction.
S.S.Vasan bought from his friend K. Subramanyam a Film distribution business Motion Picture Producers' Combines studio on Mount Road for Rs.86,427-11-9 and renamed it as Gemini Studios in the year 1940.
- 1941 - Madanakamarajan with the arrival of K. Ramnoth, a cameraman and scenarist, and A.K. Sekhar, art director brought many changes in production.
- 1942 - Jeevana Mukthi is their first film in Telugu language remake of Bhaktha Chetha (1940) of K. Subramanyam.
- 1942 - Nandanar (1942 film) A Tamil film starring M. M. Dandapani Desikar and Serukalathur Sama
- 1943 - Mangamma Sapatham
- 1945 - Kannamma En Kadhali
- 1947 - Miss Malini
- 1948 - Kalpana. This was Uday Shankar's dance spectacular, shot at the studio, that set the trend for future choreographers.
- 1948 - Chandralekhaa magnificent movie by S. S. Vasan that was a first for a Tamil to achieve All India distribution and brought excellent returns.
- 1949 - Apoorva Sahodarargal A `costume adventure` film in three languages - Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, and a major success.
- 1952 - Moondru Pillaigal - Tamil. Made also in Telugu as Mugguru Kodukulu
- 1953 - Avvaiyyar -A Tamil film that proved a major box-office hit.
- 1955 - Insaniyat -A Hindi film starring Dilip Kumar and Dev Anand.
- 1958 - Vanjikottai Valiban and Raj Tilak - A Tamil and Hindi film starring Gemini Ganesan, Vyjayanthimala and Padmini.
- 1959 - Paigham - A Hindi film starring Dilip Kumar, Vyjayanthimala and Raaj Kumar.
- 1965 - Vaazhkai Padagu - A Tamil film starring Gemini Ganesan, Devika
- 1966 - Motor Sundaram Pillai - This was Sivaji Ganesan's sole film for Gemini Studios. After S.S. Vasan's death, his son S.S. Balasubramanyam took the reins.
- 1969 - Manushulu Marali - A Telugu film starring Shoban Babu.
- 1971 - Irulum Oliyum - A Tamil film starring A. V. M. Rajan, Vanisri
- 1975 - Ellorum Nallavare - This was a flop and the studio's fortunes declined in the 70s and it was taken over by Anand Cine Services later.
- Themes in Indian History. V.K. (India) Enterprises.
- "The Hindu : Recalling what Gemini did". Hindujobs.com. 2002-07-08. Archived from the original on 8 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Jeevanmukthi (1942), blast from the past, M.L.Narasimham, The Hindu, 13 November 2011.
- "The Park Hotel Chennai, The Park Hotel Chennai India, Reservation of The Park Hotel Chennai, Deluxe Hotels in Chennai". Chennaihub.com. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
|This article about a film studio is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|