This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
31 January 1981
Romford, London, England
|Occupation||Reality Television Personality|
|Television||The Only Way Is Essex (2011–present)
I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! (2014)
Celebrity Big Brother (2016)
Sugar Free Farm (2017)
Gemma Clare Collins (born 31 January 1981) is an English reality television personality best known for being a cast member of the ITVBe semi-reality programme The Only Way Is Essex, joining the show in its second series in 2011. In 2014, she took part in I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! but withdrew after just three days of taking part in the show. In 2016, she took part in Celebrity Big Brother 17. She is also well known for her public battle with weightloss, often speaking out about it in various media outlets.
The Only Way Is Essex
In 2011, Julie Childs, mother of Collins' schoolfriend Amy, informed producers of the ITV2 semi-reality programme The Only Way Is Essex–in which Amy featured–about Collins, who was a used car sales woman at the time. They came round to Collins' house and then filmed her and her friends for two weeks. After going back to work selling cars for a week, she was hired and joined the cast of The Only Way Is Essex from its second series in 2011; her first ever scene was selling a car to Kirk Norcross. Gemma's mother Joan joined in the fifth series in April 2012. Gemma is known for her fiery temper and no nonsense attitude and has been at the centre of some of the shows biggest fights including famously throwing her drink over James Locke when he insulted her weight and clashing with BFF Bobby Norris.
Collins occasionally presents competition segments on ITV programme This Morning and has also made appearances on Loose Women, 8 Out of 10 Cats, Big Brother's Bit on the Side, Celebrity Juice and I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! NOW!.
On 16 November 2014, Collins took part in the fourteenth series of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! on ITV. However, after a bumpy start in which she refused to parachute into the jungle along with her cast mates, she withdrew after spending 72 hours in the jungle, which led to widespread bad publicity and ridicule. This was allegedly due to health issues.
On 5 January 2016, Collins entered the Celebrity Big Brother house to participate in the seventeenth series. On 2 February 2016, she became the seventh housemate to be evicted having received the fewest amount of votes to save, spending a total of 29 days in the house. In 2017, she returned to Big Brother 18, as a special guest for a shopping task.
In 2011, Collins did a nude video piece for Heat. She released her autobiography Basically: My Real Life as an Essex Girl in June 2013 and it became a bestseller in its first week of release. She has had various relationships in the public eye, most notably with her TOWIE co-star James 'Arg' Argent, ending when his ex-girlfriend returned to the series. Despite appearing in TOWIE, Collins is not actually from Essex given that Romford is in the London Borough of Havering, though it was in Essex historically.
- "Gemma Collins biography". gemmacollinsofficial.com. Archived from the original on 24 October 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "@missgemcollins - Love Harry birthday cake for breakfast he knows me well xxx". Twitter.
- Meyler, Piers (6 January 2014). "TOWIE's Gemma Collins' top job tips for youngsters". Brentwood Gazette. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Gemma Collins' mum has joined The Only Way Is Essex". 4Music. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "I'm a Celebrity lineup confirmed: Michael Buerk, Kendra, Craig Charles". Digital Spy.
- "Gemma Collins leaves the I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! jungle". itv.com. 19 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- Welsh, Daniel (6 January 2016). "Biggest Reality TV Repeat Offenders, Including 'Celebrity Big Brother' Contestant Gemma Collins, Kerry Katona and Katie Hopkins (PICS)". The Huffington Post. AOL. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Gemma Collins autobiography 'Basically' is a bestseller!". gemmacollinsofficial.com. 28 May 2013. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.