|Founded||Austin, TX (1999)|
|David Walsh (President, CEO and Chairman)|
|Products||Application & Client Platforms|
Session Border Controllers
Wireless access Gateways
Management & Analytics
Small Cell and Carrier WiFi
GENBAND US LLC was a privately held company that makes IP-based real time communications software products for fixed wireline, mobile, and cable service providers as well as large enterprises. The company was formed in 1999 as General Bandwidth, and is headquartered in Frisco, Texas. In the following 15 years it acquired several other companies doing related work.
GENBAND was founded in 1999 as General Bandwidth by Paul Carew, Brendon Mills, Ron Lutz and Steve Raich in Austin, Texas and received initial venture capital funding of $12 million. The company raised over $200M in four rounds of venture funding and grew to over 200 people by 2003.
In 2004, Charles Vogt joined the company as CEO and President. In March 2006, General Bandwidth changed its name to GENBAND, Inc. and moved its headquarters to Plano, Texas.
In addition to internal research and development, the company has expanded its product portfolio through multiple acquisitions. GENBAND currently holds more than 240 U.S. patents and has been granted more than 100 patents in other countries. Additionally, GENBAND continues innovating and growing its portfolio through patent filings, with more than 100 applications currently pending.
In 2007, GENBAND acquired Tekelec’s Switching Solutions Group, which expanded GENBAND’s product offerings in applications software and SIP trunking gateways. In 2008, the company acquired Nokia Siemens Networks’ Surpass HiG media gateway product portfolio, including fixed-line trunking media gateways. The company concluded 2008 with the acquisition of NextPoint Networks, which included session border controller (SBCs) and security gateway offerings.
In 2010, GENBAND purchased Nortel Networks' Carrier VoIP and Application Solutions (CVAS) business. The acquisition quadrupled the size of the company and made GENBAND the market share leader in carrier VoIP.
Following the acquisition, GENBAND announced a product roadmap based on GENBAND GENiUS, a software centric, unified IP switching and networking platform, which integrates the company's application server, call control, session border controller and security products and simplifies building and managing communications networks.
In 2011, GENBAND acquired Cedar Point Communications, making it a VoIP market share leader in the cable industry.
In 2012, GENBAND acquired Aztek Networks, a switch maker specializing in hardware that allows for a smoother transition from legacy to IP networks.
In 2012 GENBAND was named the top-ventured capital backed company by the Wall Street Journal out of nearly 6,000 companies that were considered.
In 2013, GENBAND acquired fring, an Over-the-top (OTT) mobile IP communications service provider. Two years later, GENBAND announced the launch of the fring Alliance, a global OTT community that enables communications service providers to come together to provide instant messaging, voice and video services to their subscribers.
Charles Vogt left GENBAND in 2013 and David Walsh added the CEO position to his other already held title of Chairman.
In 2014, GENBAND acquired uReach Technologies, a provider of Unified Communications (UC) and messaging solutions, and introduced the Generation Enterprise family of unified communications products and services for business customers.
- Application & Client Platforms
- Application server
- Unified Messaging
- IP Phones
- Unified Communications Clients
- WebRTC gateway
- Video Conferencing & Screen Share
- Session Border Controllers
- Interconnect SBC
- Access SBC
- Enterprise SBC
- Call Controllers
- C20 Call Controller
- C15 Call Controller
- C3 Call Controller
- Media gateways
- G9 Media Gateway
- G6 Universal Gateway
- G5 Line Access Gateway
- Advanced Media Software
- Wireless Access Gateways
- Security Gateway
- Network Virtualization
- Virtual Network Functions
- VNF Manager
- Management & Analytics
- Provisioning & Portals
- Diameter Signalling Controller
- Signal transfer point
- Cloud Communications
- Kandy Business for Carriers
- Kandy Business for Enterprises
- Kandy Consumer
- Kandy Platform
- Kandy Wrappers
- 2006: BayPackets and Syndeo (Call Management Server and Media Gateway Controller) 
- 2006: Siemens DCO Switch Division and Technologies 
- 2007: Tekelec’s Switching Solutions Group
- 2008: Nokia Siemens Networks’ Surpass HiG media gateway product portfolio
- 2008: NextPoint Networks (Session Border Controller)
- 2010: Nortel Networks’ Carrier VoIP and applications solutions division
- 2011: Cedar Point Communications (Cable IP softswitch)
- 2012: Aztek Networks (IP Switching)
- 2013: fring (Over-the-top mobile IP communications)
- 2014: uReach Technologies (Mobile and broadband UC and messaging)
- 2017: GENBAND and Sonus Networks announce plans to merge
- "GENBAND Opens New Worldwide Corporate Headquarters in Frisco, Texas". Genband.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Sonus Networks, Inc. Announces Completion of Sonus and GENBAND Merger". Ribboncommunications.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Genband Wins Nortel's Carrier VoIP Biz - Light Reading". lifhtreading.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Genband Snares Cedar Point - Light Reading". Lightreading.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- [dead link]
- Needleman, Sarah E. (27 September 2012). "Genband's Technology Makes It a Winner". Wsj.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Fring Alliance Aims to Become Carrier VoIP Cooperative". Communications and Technology Blog - Tehrani.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Genband Expands Reach in UC Market With uReach Acquisition". Eweek.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Disruptor 50: No. 22 GENBAND". CNBC.com. 12 May 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Genband Splashes Out for BayPackets - Light Reading". Lightreading.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Genband to buy Tekelec unit". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Genband buys fixed trunking gateways from Nokia Siemens". Telecompaper.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Genband Scores NextPoint - Light Reading". Lightreading.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Genband Integrates Nortel VOIP Products into Road Map". Eweek.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Genband picks up Cedar Point for stronger VoIP position - RCR Wireless News". Rcrwireless.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "GENBAND's Aztek acquisition helps it target more TDM-to-IP transformation projects". Fiercetelecom.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- Meyer, David (12 September 2013). "Genband buys iPhone VoIP pioneer fring to help carriers fight Skype and WhatsApp". gigaom.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "GENBAND furthers OTT push with uReach acquisition, adds messaging capabilities". Fiercetelecom.com. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "SONUS AND GENBAND TO COMBINE TO CREATE A GLOBAL LEADER IN REAL-TIME COMMUNICATIONS SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS". Genband.com. 2017-05-23. Retrieved 2017-06-05.
- "GenBand's M6 Acquired by Broadsoft". On Rad's Radar?. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- Genband Company website.