||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
September 9, 1960 |
|Area(s)||Illustration, writing, character design|
Gene Barretta (born September 9, 1960) is a children's book author and illustrator, animator and character designer. He graduated from New York University: Tisch School of Arts with a BFA in film studies. He currently lives with his family outside of Philadelphia. Gene is also the older brother of Muppet performer, writer and director, Bill Barretta.
Gene began illustrating mass-market and novelty books in 2000 and eventually transitioned to picture books into 2003. He has also contributed to children's magazines such as Cobblestone, Odyssey, Faces and Appleseeds.
Picture books include:
- Lincoln and Kennedy - (Henry Holt & Co. - Summer 2016)
- Conrad and the Cowgirl Next Door - Illustrator. Written by Denette Fretz. (Zonderkids - Fall 2014)
- Pirates on the Farm - Illustrator. Written by Denette Fretz. (Zonderkids - Summer 2013)
- Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives - Author/Illustrator. (Henry Holt & Co. - Summer 2012)
- Zoola Palooza: A Book of Homographs – Author/Illustrator. (Henry Holt & Co. - Summer 2011)
- Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo Da Vinci – Author/Illustrator. (Henry Holt & Co. - Fall 2009)
- Sheetzucacapoopoo: Max Goes to the Dogs – Illustrator. Written by Joy Behar. (Dutton – Spring 2009)
- Jack the Tripper (Harcourt - Fall 2008)
- Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones - Author/Illustrator. (Henry Holt & Co. - Fall 2007)
- Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog – Illustrator. Written by Joy Behar. (Dutton - Fall 2006)
- Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin - Author/Illustrator. (Henry Holt & Co. - Spring 2006)
TV and film
- The Jim Henson Company: Character Designer for projects such as, Tinseltown and The Late Night Buffet with Augie and Del. Storyboard artist on Muppets from Space.
- Sesame Street: Animated, wrote and scored 5 short films for Seasons 28-29.
- Between the Lions: Illustrated five BTL books as well as several production illustrations.
- 2013 - The Cook Prize Honor Title from Bank Street College of Education for "Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives."
- 2007 - Carolyn Field Award for Pennsylvania Library Association for "Now & Ben."
- 2015 - Two book paintings accepted to the Mazza Museum collection.
- 2014 - "Now & Ben" included in Best Books for Grades 3-5 by WeAreTeachers.com
- 2014 - "Neo Leo" and "Timeless Thomas" chosen by Teaching Books for the 2014 Collaborative Summer Library Program themed "Fizz, Boom, Read!"
- 2013 - "Pirates on the Farm" receives a Starred Review from Publishers Weekly."
- 2013 - "Timeless Thomas" receives a Starred Review from Kirkus."
- 2013 - "Timeless Thomas" featured on the 2013 NEA Calendar."
- 2012 - "Zoola Palooza" included on 2012 IRA Teacher's Choice Reading List.'
- 2011 - "Zoola Palooza" chosen among Amazon's Best Books of the Month for June.
- 2010 - NSTA/CBC Outstanding Science Trade Book for Students K-12 list for "Neo Leo."
- 2010 - Teacher's Choice Booklist by the International Reader's Association for "Neo Leo."
- 2009 - Scholastic Instructor's Magazine's "First-Rate Biographies" for "Neo Leo."
- 2008 - "Notable Children's Videos" by ALSC (American Library Assoc) for the DVD of "Now & Ben."
- 2008 - Notable Children's Book in the Language Arts by The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) for "Dear Deer."
- 2007 - CCBC Choices of 2007 "Now & Ben."
- 2007 - Best Children's Books of the Year list by the Children's Book Committee at the Bank Street College of Education for "Now & Ben."
- 2007 - Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young Readers by The National Council for Social Studies (NCSS) and the Children's Book Council for "Now & Ben."
- 2007 - Mom-Tested Books of the Year in "Parenting" magazine for "Dear Deer."
- 2006 - The New York Times Best Seller list – #3 for "Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog."
- 2006 - Book Sense Top Ten History Picks About The American Revolution for "Now & Ben."
- Downes, Laurence (March 12, 2006). "Benjamin Franklin Books". New York Times. Retrieved October 9, 2011.