Gene R. Stone
|Born||October 6, 1951|
|Education||Stanford University(B.A. English Literature)|
Harvard University(M.A. English Literature)
|Known for||Best-selling author, plant-based eating, gay advocacy, animal rights|
|Board member of||Surgeons Over Seas (SOS) and Truth Wins Out (TWO)|
|Awards||Books for a Better Life Award (twice), VegNews Book of the Year (twice), Humane League Hero of the Year, 2016|
Gene Stone (born October 6, 1951) is an American writer and editor.
Early life and editorial career
Gene Stone grew up in the Westchester County suburb of Pelham, New York, the son of lawyer Henry Stone and author/editor Babette Rosmond, and the brother of James M. Stone, founder and CEO of Plymouth Rock Assurance Corporation.
After graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Stanford and receiving his masters in English Literature from Harvard, Stone joined the Peace Corps, where he spent two years in the Republic of Niger. Returning to New York, he then started a career as an editor. He began at Harcourt Brace, where he edited a wide range of books including Patricia Bosworth’s biography of Montgomery Clift. He then worked at Bantam Books, where he helped launch its hardcover division by acquiring such books as Albert Goldman’s biography of John Lennon and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s autobiography. Next, he worked as a senior editor at Esquire Magazine, editing authors ranging from Alan Furst and Bobbie Ann Mason to Michael Kinsley and Joel Kotkin. He then moved to Los Angeles, where he was West Coast editor of Simon and Schuster, a consulting editor at the Los Angeles Times, and editor in chief of California Magazine.
In 1988 Stone began a career as a writer and ghostwriter. He has written extensively for magazines, including New York, Esquire, GQ, and Vogue, but eventually dedicated his livelihood to books. His first ghostwritten project was for the Nicaraguan politician Arturo Cruz Jr., Memoirs of a Counter-Revolutionary (1988). Since then Stone has written more than forty books with a diverse group of people, including theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, former Yahoo! Chief Solutions Officer Tim Sanders, medical director of Canyon Ranch Resorts Mark Liponis, CNN executive vice-president Gail Evans, and TOMS Shoes founder Blake Mycoskie (Start Something That Matters). Stone has written many other books under his own name, including, The Secret of People Who Never Get Sick, which has been translated into more than 30 languages; and Little Girl Fly Away, which he co-produced as a television movie. An avid watch collector, Stone appeared on CBS News Sunday Morning (October 29, 2006) discussing his book, The Watch, the definitive book of men's wristwatches. The book was thoroughly updated and published in a new edition in 2018 with a new co-author, Hodinkee.com managing editor Stephen Pulvirent. Stone has also written a number of instant books for various publishers on presidential politics, including The Bush Survival Bible and The Trump Survival Guide. Stone serves on the board of several not-for-profit organizations, including Surgeons Over Seas (SOS), which saves lives in developing countries by improving surgical care, and Truth Will Out (TWO), a non-profit think tank and educational organization that defends the LGBT community against anti-gay misinformation.
In 2006 Stone, a vegan, met firefighter Rip Esselstyn and the two of them collaborated on the hugely successful book about a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based diet, The Engine 2 Diet, which in turn was the basis of a product line at Whole Foods Market. They then co-wrote a sequel, My Beef With Meat. Under his own name, Stone wrote the companion book to the documentary Forks Over Knives, a film which also explores plant-based diets. Stone has since written many other books on similar subjects, including Living the Farm Sanctuary Life: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Mindfully, Living Longer, and Feeling Better Every Day, co-authored with Farm Sanctuary President and Co-founder Gene Baur. Stone co-wrote a book with Michael Greger How Not To Die, which was followed up with a cookbook. Stone is also the co-author, with Jon Doyle, of The Awareness, a novel about the day that all mammals gain human-like consciousness. Stone is currently working on several more books about the effects of a plant-based diet on health, the environment, and animal protection, including Eat for the Planet, with Onegreenplanet.com founder Nil Zacharias.
- 1989 Memoirs of a Counter-Revolutionary (Ghostwriter for Arturo Cruz), Doubleday, ISBN 9780385248792
- 1992 Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time: A Reader’s Companion (in collaboration with Stephen Hawking), Bantam, ISBN 978-0553077728
- 1994 Little Girl Fly Away Simon & Schuster, ISBN 9780671780852
- 1997 Dr Fulford’s Touch of Life (co-writer with osteopath Robert C. Fulford), Gallery, ISBN 9780671556013
- 1998 The Halo Effect: How Volunteering Can Lead to a More Fulfilling Life and a Better Career (co-written with Outward Bound CEO John Reynolds), Golden Books Adult Publishing, ISBN 9780307440716
- 2000 Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman (Ghostwriter with CNN executive VP Gail Evans), Broadway, ISBN 9780767904636
- 2002 Kindred Spirits: How the Remarkable Bond Between Humans and Animals Can Change the Way we Live, (Ghostwriter for veterinarian Allen Shoen), Broadway, ISBN 9780767904315
- 2002 Love is the Killer App (Ghostwriter for Yahoo! Chief Solutions Officer Tim Sanders) Crown Business, ISBN 9781400046836
- 2003 UltraPrevention (Ghostwriter for Mark Hyman and Mark Liponis- Medical Directors of Canyon Ranch) Scribners, ISBN 9780743448833
- 2004 The Bush Survival Bible Villard, ISBN 0-8129-7476-X
- 2006 The Watch - First Edition Harry N. Abrams, ISBN 9780810930933
- 2007 Ultralongevity: The Seven Step Program for a Younger, Healthier You (co-writer with Canyon Ranch Medical Director Mark Liponis), Little, Brown and Company, ISBN 9780316017299
- 2007 Duck! The Dick Cheney Survival Bible, Villard, ISBN 9780812977295
- 2008 Saving the World at Work (Ghostwriter for Yahoo! CSO Tim Sanders), Crown Business, ISBN 9780385523578
- 2009 The Engine 2 Diet (written with Rip Esselstyn) Grand Central, ISBN 9780446506687
- 2010 The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick Workman, ISBN 9780761165811
- The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease (Flatiron, 2017) ISBN 9781250127761
- 2011 Start Something That Matters (Ghostwriter for TOMS shoes founder Blake Mycoskie), Random House, ISBN 9780812981445
- 2011 Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health (Editor) The Experiment ISBN 9781615190454
- 2013 Finding the Next Steve Jobs (Co-author with Atari and Chuck E. Cheese Founder Nolan Bushnell), Simon and Schuster, ISBN 9781476759821
- 2013 My Beef With Meat (Ghostwriter for Rip Esselstyn), Grand Central, ISBN 9781455509362
- 2104 The Awareness (co-written with Jon Doyle), Stone, ISBN 9780615944647
- 2015 How Not to Die (co-written with Michael Greger) Flatiron, ISBN 9781250066114
- 2015 Living the Farm Sanctuary Life (co-written with Farm Sanctuary founder Gene Baur) Rodale, ISBN 9781623364892
- 2017 The Trump Survival Guide Dey Street, ISBN 9780062686480
- 2017 Mercy for Animals (co-writer with Mercy for Animals founder Nathan Runkle), Avery, ISBN 9780399574054
- 2017 The How Not do Die Cookbook (Co-writer with Michael Greger, M.D.), Flatiron, ISBN 9781250127761
- 2018 Eat for the Planet (co-writer with OneGreenPlanet.org founder Nil Zacharias), Abrams ISBN 9781419729102
- 2018 The Watch, Thoroughly Revised (co-writer with Stephen Pulvirent), Abrams, ISBN 9781419732607
- "Gene Stone, New York Times Bestselling Author on Veganism". Unicorn Goods. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- Katcher, Joshua. "INTERVIEW: GENE STONE, CO-AUTHOR OF THE AWARENESS". The Discerning Brute. Retrieved 30 June 2016.