30 May 1942
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
|Occupation||Film and culture critic; professor of film and video history, media arts, and media democracy|
Gene Youngblood, (30 May 1942 – ) is a theorist of media arts and politics, and a respected scholar in the history and theory of alternative cinemas. His best known book, Expanded Cinema, was the first to consider video as an art form and has been credited with helping to legitimate the field of media arts. He is also known for his pioneering work in the media democracy movement, a subject on which he has taught, written, and lectured since 1967.
For ten years in the 1960s, Gene Youngblood was a journalist for newspapers, television, and radio in Los Angeles. He was a reporter and film critic for the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner, reporter for KHJ-TV, arts commentator for KPFK, and from 1967 to 1970 he was associate editor and columnist for the Los Angeles Free Press, the first and largest of the underground newspapers of that era.
Youngblood has held several academic posts in his career, but is best known for his time with the Film/Video School at California Institute of the Arts and for helping to found the Moving Image Arts department at the College of Santa Fe (now Santa Fe University of Art and Design).
- Youngblood, Gene. Cine Expandido. Buenos Aires: EDUNTREF, Editorial De La Universidad Nacional De Tres De Febrero, 2012. Spanish edition of Expanded Cinema. Print.
- Godard, Jean-Luc, and David Sterritt. Jean-Luc Godard: Interviews. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 1998. Print.
- Youngblood, Gene. Metaphysical Structuralism: The Videotapes of Bill Viola. Santa Monica: Voyager Press, 1986. Print.
- Youngblood, Gene. Expanded Cinema. New York: E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc., 1970. Print.
- Youngblood, Gene. World Game. Carbondale, Illinois: Southern Illinois University Press, 1970. Print.
- Manovich, Lev. 2002. "Ten Key Texts on Digital Art: 1970-2000". Leonardo. 35 (5): 567-569.
- Secession Trailer 1F Dir. Bryan Konefsky. Intvw. Steve Benedict, John Hanhardt, Chrissie Iles, and Steve Seid. Vimeo. Web. 29 Jul 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gene Youngblood.|
- Secession from the Broadcast: Gene Youngblood and the Communications Revolution Excerpt from documentary in production.
- Youngblood, Gene. Cine Expandido. [Buenos Aires] : EDUNTREF, Editorial de la Universidad Nacional de Tres de Febrero, [2012, ©1970].
- Youngblood, Gene. Expanded Cinema. New York: E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc. 1970. Online PDF.
- L'avventura (1960) by Michelangelo Antonioni. Gene Youngblood, audio commentary for Criterion Collection DVD.
- L'avventura Criterion Collection Essay by Gene Youngblood.
- George Lucas: Filmmaker Youngblood's 1-hour 1971 interview with George Lucas for Los Angeles PBS station KCET-TV.
- Metadesigning for the Future - Gene Youngblood talks to Erkki Huhtamo