NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan
||The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Founded||March, 1981 (as Pioneer LDC)
October, 2003 (as Geneon Entertainment)
February, 2009 (as Geneon Universal Entertainment)
December, 2013 (as NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan)
|Headquarters||Minato, Tokyo, Japan|
|Products||Anime, Film, Music|
|Parent||Universal Pictures International Entertainment (100%)|
|Divisions||Paramount Home Media Distribution Japan|
NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan LLC (NBCユニバーサル・エンターテイメントジャパン合同会社 Enubīshī Yunibāsaru Entāteimento Japan Gōdō-gaisha?) (formerly known as Geneon Universal Entertainment and previously Pioneer LDC – Pioneer LaserDisc Company, a former subsidiary of Pioneer Corporation) is a Japanese music, anime and home entertainment production and distribution enterprise headquartered in Akasaka, Minato, Tokyo, Japan. From its days as Geneon Universal Entertainment, Geneon has been involved in the production and distribution of several anime in Japan. Geneon's North American branch (originally founded as Pioneer Entertainment) specialized in translating and distributing anime and related merchandise, such as soundtracks across the region. Geneon is a portmanteau of the English words, generate and eon. On February 1, 2009, Geneon merged with Universal Pictures Japan into Geneon Universal Entertainment. On December 9, 2013, the company changed its name to the current NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan. Outside Japan, the majority of NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan's anime titles are distributed in the Oceanic region by Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Australia. In 2016, it expanded into the UK market with the release of Seraph of the End and The Heroic Legend of Arslan.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
NBCUniversal Entertainment was originally formed under the name Pioneer LDC in 1981.
In July 2003, the company was acquired by Japanese advertising and marketing company firm Dentsu and renamed to Geneon Entertainment, while its North American division, Pioneer Entertainment, was renamed to Geneon USA.
Geneon had signed a deal with Viz Media (then known as Viz Communications) to release their properties to DVD such as Pokémon and Ranma ½ before Viz began producing their own DVDs. In November 2004, Geneon USA signed a deal with Toei Animation to distribute some of their titles into the North American market. Launching titles included Air Master, Interlude, and Slam Dunk. However, in late 2006, the deal ended and all of the released titles went out of print.
In March 2007, Geneon became the exclusive North American distributor for Bandai Visual USA. Four months later, it was announced that ADV Films would take over the distribution, marketing, and sales of Geneon USA's properties in the United States, starting October 1, 2007. According to the announcement, Geneon USA would continue to acquire, license, and produce English subs and dubs of anime for release in North America. However, the deal was canceled in September before it was implemented, with neither company giving details as to why beyond stating they were "unable to reach a mutual agreement."
On December 3, Geneon USA closed distribution operations, with titles solicited through November 5 shipped. Titles that were in mid-release or licensed but unreleased were left in limbo. The Bandai Visual USA titles that were being distributed by Geneon were not affected by this closure, though some were delayed while Bandai Visual found a new distributor. Another North American anime company, Funimation Entertainment, began negotiating with Geneon USA to distribute some of the company's licensed titles. In July 2008, a formal arrangement was announced and Funimation acquired the rights to "manufacture, sell, and distribute" various Geneon anime and live-action titles.
Sale to Universal
On November 12, 2008, Dentsu announced that it was selling 80.1% of its ownership in the company to NBCUniversal's Universal Pictures International Entertainment (UPI), who planned to merge the company with its Universal Pictures Japan division to form a new company. The merger closed on February 1, 2009, with the new company now known Geneon Universal Entertainment Japan. On December 9, 2013, the company once again changed its name to NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan.
Purchase of Paramount Japan
On January 1, 2016, the home entertainment portion of Paramount Japan was purchased by NBCUniversal in Japan.
In 2006, Geneon USA was named "Best Anime Company" by the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation.
- "UKA Competition: Win a Heroic Legend of Arslan Blu-ray Collector's Edition". Uk-anime.net. 2016-07-25. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Dentsu acquires Pioneer - News". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Geneon Entertainment Signs Distribution Agreement with Toei Animation". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Toei DVDs Cancelled - News". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Bandai Visual USA new licenses and distribution deal - News". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "ADV Takes Over Geneon's Sales, Marketing, Distribution - News". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "ADV Films, Geneon USA's Distribution Deal Cancelled (Updated) - News". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Geneon USA Withdraws Appointment of Anime DVD Distribution Business to A.D. Vision" (PDF) (Press release). Dentsu. September 21, 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 15, 2007. Retrieved November 14, 2015.
- "Geneon USA to Cancel DVD Sales, Distribution by Friday - News". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Bandai Visual USA Continues to Release New Titles as Scheduled". Anime News Network. September 27, 2007. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- "Navarre/FUNimation Interested in Some Geneon Titles". ICv2. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Funimation Agrees to Distribute Select Geneon Titles - News". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "FUNimation Entertainment and Geneon Entertainment Sign Exclusive Distribution Agreement for North America". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Geneon to Merge with Universal Pictures Japan - News". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Geneon Universal Entertainment". Geneonuniversal.jp. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Geneon Universal Ent. Japan is Now Known as NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan" (PDF) (in Japanese). NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "サイト閉鎖のお知らせ" [Site Closure Notification] (in Japanese). Paramount Japan. January 1, 2016. Archived from the original on May 22, 2016. Retrieved May 22, 2016.
- "Akimbo Adds Geneon to Its Acclaimed Anime on Demand Collection". Anime News Network. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.