General Burnside Island State Park
|General Burnside Island State Park|
|Type||Kentucky State Park|
|Location||Pulaski County, Kentucky|
|Area||430 acres (170 ha)|
|Operated by||Kentucky Department of Parks|
|General Burnside Island State Park Official website|
General Burnside Island State Park is a park located just south of Somerset, Kentucky in Pulaski County. The park encompasses 430 acres (170 ha) in the middle of Lake Cumberland, making it Kentucky's only island park. The park is named for General Ambrose E. Burnside, a Union general during the Civil War who stationed his troops at the location that the park now occupies.
Activities and amenities
Referred to locally as Burnside Island, the state park offers camping, golf, and lake access via boat ramp on the south end of the island. The golf course was voted first place as the Commonwealth Journal Readers Choice Award for "Best Places to Play Golf" in 2009. The following year, it placed second.
Although elected officials have spoken of upgrades to the park, including the construction of a state lodge and improvements to the golf course, a spokesperson in 2010 said the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet has no plans for a lodge "right now."
- Kleber, John E., ed. (1992). "Parks, State". The Kentucky Encyclopedia. Associate editors: Thomas D. Clark, Lowell H. Harrison, and James C. Klotter. Lexington, Kentucky: The University Press of Kentucky. ISBN 0-8131-1772-0.
- "General Burnside Island State Park". Kentucky Department of Parks. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- "2010 Readers' Choice Award Winners". Commonwealth Journal. Somerset, Ky. March 31, 2010. Retrieved August 26, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- Harris, Chris (February 27, 2007). "Fletcher, Rogers speak on lake". Commonwealth Journal. Somerset, Ky. Archived from the original on February 2, 2013. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
- Mardis, Bill (February 23, 2010). "Danville firm to replace Burnside Island sewer system". Commonwealth Journal. Somerset, Ky. Archived from the original on August 27, 2013. Retrieved August 26, 2013.